Beneath a Steel Sky source code

Discuss coding, porting and creating games
TheDumbGamer
Less than a nibble

Post by TheDumbGamer »

A couple of things:

All I did was generate a compatable binary with current tools from the original source. You still need DOSBox or equivalent to run it. I don't believe it will run under Win32, although providing a minimal capability to do that might be a smallish project. I'm sorry if you think I wrote a Win32 executable.

I agree with you comments ragarding ScummVM, but do not understand why you feel that something like ScummVM is any different than the native Win32 executable.

In the original BASS case, you start Sky.exe (engine) and it automatically reads the SKY.DSK, etc. files and fires up BASS in all its glory.

In ScummVM, you start ScummVM (the engine) with some appropriate arguments, and it automatically reads the SKY.DSK, etc. files and fires up BASS is all its glory.

How is that different? Is it because ScummVM can choose a variety of engines and, therefore, a variety of programs? Or is it because ScummVM also has an interactive mode which allows you to choose a game?

In fact, I've got a BASS distribution which provides a BASS executable which just runs. I assume it fires up ScummVM with the correct arguments, but I haven't investigated it.

TheDumbGamer
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

I wasn't aware that ScummVM could load games without having to start it up and choose a game from the GUI. I guess I should have known that it could accept command line arguments. That certainly eliminates a step.

Well, at any rate, even if it's not Win32, it's still interesting to have been able to compile the source code. I guess it just seemed like you were diminishing your own accomplishment. As I said before, I'm not sure how much I wanted it to be done, but I can at least appreciate that you bothered to do it. Porting it to Win32 would be pretty cool, but even getting it to run in DOS is more than I could have done.

If it was a fun challenge, I say take a bow!
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
TheDumbGamer
Less than a nibble

Post by TheDumbGamer »

I'm actually only assuming that it excepts command line arguments.... but that link I provided figured out some way to do it.

TheDumbGamer
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Is the source code at that link different from the source code on this site?
TheDumbGamer
Less than a nibble

Post by TheDumbGamer »

Not that I looked too hard, but I was unable to find the actual engine source on either that site or the ScummVM site.

TheDumbGamer
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

TheDumbGamer
Less than a nibble

Post by TheDumbGamer »

I did find that file, but I did not see any source code in it. Perhaps I fell asleep at the wheel?

TheDumbGamer
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Lol, that's pretty good! A link called source that doesn't have any source code in it! Should I smack my own head or theirs?
TheDumbGamer
Less than a nibble

Post by TheDumbGamer »

Theirs. :)

However, I think it's source from ScummVM's point of view, which would be the data files.

I didn't check, but it's possible it included source for his wrapper. I don't recall seeing any programmable source, though I might have missed it.

TheDumbGamer