MegaRace / Dune Music files

Discuss game modding
Synamax
Less than a nibble

MegaRace / Dune Music files

Post by Synamax »

Hi everyone!

I've been trying to reverse engineer the adlib music files for Dune and MegaRace for quite some time and I was hoping if anyone can help achieve that goal. The music files are Cryo Interactive's HERAD system, which as of now are only playable natively in the old program, RDOSPLAY (and that's only for Dune's music, Megarace's music is slightly different).

Thanks to the awesome work of binarymaster, the majority of the file format has been solved (it's almost the same structure as MIDI). However, I'm trying to figure out the instrument chunk and that's where I'm running into trouble. Malvineous suggested using dro2txt, however I can't seem to get the program to work. I also thought of comparing instruments by extracting them using dro2midi but on even the most simple songs, it wants to spit out a ridiculous amount of instruments, many of them with just minor differences between them.

If anyone has any suggestions on dro2txt or want to help out hacking this file format, I would greatly appreciate it! You can find the file format specs here; there's also links to the SDB music files on that site as well. http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=HERAD