How to compile Camoto?

Discuss game modding
Debug Mode
Less than a nibble

How to compile Camoto?

Post by Debug Mode »

Hi,

I've seen your post in 3Drealms forum about Whacky Wheels editing and tried to compile it, since I also tried modding much stuff but got problems, because my edited files were too big and I don't know how to change the pointers to fit it in again.
I installed all dependencies and tried to configure it, but it stopped saying I need libgamescommon, but this doesn't compiles and just stops, telling it can't find sources in scr/substream.cpp.

Can you please make a tutorial how to properly do it?
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Re: How to compile Camoto?

Post by Malvineous »

Hi,

Camoto is still very early in development and is only just becoming usable, so please bear in mind that you will run into problems like this if you want to start using it this early on. That said, a rather large change has been applied in the last couple of days so it's possible there are some lingering issues that need to be sorted out.

There's not really any need for a tutorial - to compile under Linux, do a 'git clone' from Github, run ./autogen.sh then "./configure && make && sudo make install" to compile and install it. Repeat for each library, making sure you do libgamecommon first, and libgamegraphics before libgamemaps (the errors will be quite clear if you mix up the order.)

If you checked out the git repository more than a few days ago you will need to do a "git pull" to grab all the latest changes - substream.cpp no longer exists, for example. It's possible you may also have to re-run ./configure to update the Makefile.

If you still run into any problems, please post the compile error messages as well as the git revision you're using ("git rev-parse HEAD").
yellowantphil
4-bit nibble

Post by yellowantphil »

Perhaps this will help. For posterity’s sake, I’ll post the changes to the code that I had to make to get Camoto to compile. Most or all of this has to do with my computer running different versions of libraries and such than what Malvineous has. In particular, my version of Boost is older than Malvineous’s. I’m posting my more recent compilation errors in the other thread about compiling Camoto on this forum.
libgamearchive/src/util.cpp, line 75: changed i->string() to i->c_str()

camoto-studio/src/audio.cpp: added #include <iostream>
Before I did this, the compiler said that cerr was not a member of std.

camoto-studio/src/gamelist.cpp: There are several lines that have std::cout << "some string" << n << "more stuff"; where n is a const wxCharBuffer. I had to change n to n.data() to make it compile.

“make install” fails partway through installing camoto-studio. There's a ginstall command that gets a long list of files from camoto-studio/data, but it tries to install all of them to share/camoto-studio/ without preserving the directory structure in data/. I did a cp -R instead.

I had to change a few configure.ac files to reduce the minimum required version of Boost and libxml.
To compile libgamegraphics, you need to do ./configure --without-python.

You need to compile and install libgamecommon first. Libgamegraphics has to be installed before compiling libgamemusic. And every library has to be installed before camoto-studio.

If you’re compiling wxWidgets (wxGTK), you need to pass in --with-opengl. Apparently it isn't enabled by default.
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Post by Malvineous »

Hmm...maybe it does need a tutorial...I've started one on the ModdingWiki page with just the very basics so feel free to add to it.