Camoto compilation errors

Discuss game modding
yellowantphil
4-bit nibble

Re: Camoto compilation errors

Post by yellowantphil »

Malvineous wrote:What happens if you modify glAttribList in studio.cpp:53?
No change. I tried removing WX_GL_DEPTH_SIZE, and tried setting the array to {0, 0}.
I've just made another commit which removes all the errors about deprecated functions - I don't suppose this makes any difference either?
I don’t see any new git commits.

This was working on my old computer. I think all of the software was the same (Arch with the Intel driver), except that my other computer was 32-bit. The only other difference that I can think of is hardware. Hmm. :|
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Post by Malvineous »

Oh whoops, my mistake - helps if I actually push the commits to GitHub :oops:

Thanks for checking glAttribList. I honestly have no idea why it could be failing! It's very difficult when I can't reproduce the problem at my end.
yellowantphil
4-bit nibble

Post by yellowantphil »

The new commit didn't fix the error.

I tried compiling Camoto on yet another computer, but I get linker errors on Camoto Studio:

Code: Select all

/home/phil/files/camoto/camoto-studio/src/studio.cpp:360: undefined reference to `wxAuiManager::LoadPerspective(wxString const&, bool)'
It looks like that symbol is defined in /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_aui-3.0.so, but the linker command doesn't include -lwx_gtk2u_aui-3.0. And autoconf is yet another one of the tools you're using that I am not familiar with. Back in my day, we typed makefiles by the sweat of our brows, and we liked it. :geek:

Perhaps that computer is missing some package that my other one has. I've already had to install several to get this far.
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Post by Malvineous »

Oh I gave up on bare Makefiles long ago once I had to start dealing with library names and linking across different platforms and naming schemes - as annoying as autoconf can be, I have never regretted learning it!

The bit in question is in configure.ac line 40, the AM_PATH_WXCONFIG line. At the end it lists the libraries it needs, and (at least for me) it includes "core,base,gl,aui" - so it's definitely asking for the AUI library to be linked in! If you run "make V=1" to see the compiler commands maybe you can work out why it's not linking the AUI library. I wish there was a nicer way to warn people if a library was missing instead of just giving a compiler error, but alas it seems WX doesn't cooperate all that well with autoconf.

It still surprises me how easy it is to get the compilation to fail on different systems when they are all supposed to be compatible with each other though!
yellowantphil
4-bit nibble

Post by yellowantphil »

Something is going wrong with my configure script. The line that sets WX_LIBS in configure is this:

WX_LIBS=`$WX_CONFIG_WITH_ARGS --libs`
and that evaluates to "wx-config core,base,gl,aui --libs", which returns the wrong arguments. :| I don't know how to edit anything in configure.ac (yet) so I replaced WX_LIBS in the Camoto Studio makefiles with what it should have been, and the program links. If I try to launch Camoto Studio, it gets stuck in a loop of assertions related to bitmaps. I'll look at it later, when I have time. Here is the first error:

ASSERT INFO:
./src/gtk/bitmap.cpp(626): assert "image.IsOk()" failed in wxBitmap(): invalid image

BACKTRACE:
[1] wxBitmap::wxBitmap(wxImage const&, int)
[2] Studio::Studio(bool) /home/phil/files/camoto/camoto-studio/src/studio.cpp:109
[3] CamotoApp::OnCmdLineParsed(wxCmdLineParser&) /home/phil/files/camoto/camoto-studio/src/main.cpp:186
[4] wxAppConsoleBase::OnInit()
[5] wxEntry(int&, wchar_t**)
[6] wxEntry(int&, char**)
[7] main /home/phil/files/camoto/camoto-studio/src/main.cpp:218
[8] __libc_start_main
[9] _start
yellowantphil
4-bit nibble

Post by yellowantphil »

About that second computer where I tried running Camoto: it is screwed up in a multitude of ways, so I am going to stop trying to figure out why Camoto won’t run on it. I can’t start X locally (I was using forwarding over ssh earlier), and my system logs say worrying things like ”/dev/tty1: Permission denied.” :shock: And that computer is my file server, so it’s a wonder anything works on any of my computers right now. So I have some things to fix before I get back to looking at Camoto.
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Post by Malvineous »

If you got to the point where you got the wxBitmap invalid image error then you are probably almost there. I think this error happens when it can't find the icon files (in the 'data' directory in the git tree.)

These are normally installed somewhere like /usr/local/share, but if you are running Camoto Studio from the build directory without installing it, then it won't be able to find the files because they haven't been copied there yet. You can compile it with a command like "./configure --datarootdir=/home/phil/files/camoto/camoto-studio/" to tell it to use the source files instead of looking in /usr/local/share. (If you have already compiled it, run a "make clean" before you reconfigure and rebuild to ensure the change gets picked up.)

Hopefully then it will work!

BTW the error about /dev/tty1 permissions rings a bell - I had to do something about an XOrg wrapper to get around a similar error.