Game wishlist

Requests for games to be added to the site
Hallfiry
7-bit super nerd

Re: Game wishlist

Post by Hallfiry »

MrFlibble wrote:There is no evidence that the beta demo was distributed publicly. The message in the executable says that its unauthorized distribution is illegal. The installer does not include any readme which would indicate otherwise. This is why I did not propose to add the beta demo to the site.

Also, the beta demo does not run under Win64, and crashes frequently under Win32. All other demo versions run fine in Win64.
Too bad :/
Magazine cover disk catalog:
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

MrFlibble wrote:Thanks to Hallfiry's magazine cover CD index I was able to locate an early Windows shareware version of Nebula Fighter on this CD. It's uploaded here:
https://mega.co.nz/#!aFZQCA7Y!uP_W6s76f ... bFHsO-XNAA

The readme indicates it's shareware v1.1, and One Reality is still listed as the publisher. While the game executable is for Windows, the setup programme is still a DOS application.
This is actually an incomplete version, because originally it was a hybrid DOS/Win95 shareware release. Here's a (hopefully) complete set of files:
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/index.ph ... =$2FNebula
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I have uploaded the DOS/Win95 shareware version of Nebula Fighter here: nfighter.zip

The wishlist summary entry has been updated accordingly.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Litude wrote:Complete Version History:
The Shattered Kingdom 0.73 English Shareware Demo - 2 June 1998
The Shattered Kingdom 0.91 German Shareware Demo - 10 June 1998 (Not originally distributed in a .ZIP file)
The Shattered Kingdom 0.92 English Shareware Demo - 11 June 1998
The Shattered Kingdom 1.20 English Shareware Demo - 14 August 1998 (Not originally distributed in a .ZIP file)
The Shattered Kingdom 1.20 Russian Shareware Demo - 6 December 1998
The Shattered Kingdom 1.21 English Shareware Demo - 20 August 1998 (Not originally distributed in a .ZIP file)
The Shattered Kingdom 1.30 Polish Shareware Demo - 23 September 1998 (Original file name is "demo.exe")
The Peasants Rebellion 1.471 English Shareware Demo - 2 December 2005
The Peasants Rebellion 1.471 German Shareware Demo - 24 October 2001
Some of the links here are broken, but apparently the Knights and Merchants NET website has all the versions archived. Download links in the wishlist summary have been updated accordingly.
Litude
File Contributor

Post by Litude »

Yeah, the site moved a few years ago. ;) I see you also spotted the new German demo that Hallfiry kindly dug up a few weeks ago.

As a FYI, the 1.21 The Shattered Kingdom demo available on the main page differs in a few ways from the one available in the archive. (The version on the main page has been compiled three days later.)

None of the official demo versions were ever distributed zipped save for the Russian demo. The files are zipped up to preserve the original modify date and in some cases official readme files were found from different CDs which were never available in the online .EXE only distributions.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

BTW, I haven't been able to find any detailed description on the site of how the demo scenarios are different from the tutorial(s) in the full game. I checked a couple of videos on YouTube which show the retail tutorial, and the starting location of the town tutorial seems somewhat similar - except there are no combat troops at the beginning?
Litude
File Contributor

Post by Litude »

The battle tutorial is completely different in the demo version compared to the retail version (the demo battle tutorial map was later reused as a map in The Peasants Rebellion campaign).

As for the town tutorial, the tutorial available in the retail game is basically the same map but the height of the map has been cut by about 1/4 and the blue enemy in the south has been removed. In most localizations the green enemy was also removed (i.e. it was only about town building, no soldiers whatsoever), but IIRC the German and Polish retail versions still had the green enemy present in the tutorial (coincidentally, they didn't have a separate battle tutorial in the retail version either).
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Thanks for the info!
Litude wrote:As a FYI, the 1.21 The Shattered Kingdom demo available on the main page differs in a few ways from the one available in the archive. (The version on the main page has been compiled three days later.)
Actually I took note of that, but since DOSGuy recently mentioned that he was not going to archive multiple releases of the same version, I only picked one from the main download page. From the description on your site I inferred that the two releases of v1.21 only differ in publisher information which is displayed during loading.
delMar
Less than a nibble

Post by delMar »

Please, add the Street Rod series (1 & 2).
Moby-Link: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/street-rod-series

The "official" site can be found here: http://streetrodonline.com/
It also hosts legal and free downloads of the two games and the data disk for the first game.

Thanks!
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by developertn »

Jesus Christ!hehe

I just personally checked it out. For my empty headed no brain I could not get a car for the life of me. However the graphics are really quite good. A lot of time and effort seems to have been put into the intro screens.

Thank you Jesus Christ for a preview. I would not buy it at this point in time. It is not easy enough to play. The good point is the quality of the graphics. For MS-DOS I give it a 5 out of 5 for graphics. Thank you for showing me up and telling me that my quality is not good enough yet!!!!!!!!!!!!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

delMar wrote:Please, add the Street Rod series (1 & 2).
Moby-Link: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/street-rod-series

The "official" site can be found here: http://streetrodonline.com/
It also hosts legal and free downloads of the two games and the data disk for the first game.
delMar, perhaps you could contribute these games yourself via the Publication system?
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

MrFlibble wrote:Flying Tigers
Genre: Shooter
Type: Shareware
Known versions:
<...> <...>
NOTE: The Apr 1995 update of v2.10 does not seem to work in DOSBox.
I've asked at VOGONS about this issue, and it turns out that some code in this version causes DOSBox to move to the root directory of the current drive, after which the game cannot find its data files. DOSBox developer ripsaw8080 kindly provided an easy fix for this problem, available here.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

BACKLASH - A Turret Gunner Simulation [Added to the site]
Developer: Sanctuary Software Studio, Inc.
Publisher: Sanctuary Software Studio, Inc.
Genre: 3D Shooter
Type: Shareware/Liberated
Known versions:
  • Shareware v1.10 (Sep 30, 1995): bl110sw.zip
  • Shareware v1.20 (Nov 24, 1995): bl120sw.zip
  • Shareware v1.30 (Feb 09, 1996): bl130sw.zip
  • Registered v1.30 (Feb 09, 1996): bl130fr.zip [freeware release]
  • Beaucomm Interactive shareware: backlash.zip [file not archived]
Sanctuary Software Studio, Inc. have declared this game freeware, although the exact date seems hard to determine. The free registered download was available from their website at least since 2000, judging by the Wayback Machine snapshot. However, the file itself has only been crawled and stored in 2006.
BACKLASH was developed and published as shareware in 1994. In 1995, Madacy Entertainment published and distributed a retail version of BACKLASH worldwide. While rapidly changing computer technology has rendered much of the BACKLASH software obsolete, it still stands as an interesting example of the combination of software development, graphic design and audio production that comprise successful multimedia development.

BACKLASH is now available as freeware. It may be downloaded from this site or from mirror locations on the Internet.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Added the demo version of Timeslaughter (tsdemo.zip) to the game wishlist summary.
Hallfiry
7-bit super nerd

Post by Hallfiry »

Magazine cover disk catalog:
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/