Hallfiry
7-bit super nerd

Re: Game wishlist

Post by Hallfiry »

I'd like to see the game Little Willy added to the page:
http://www50.zippyshare.com/v/Cdsp9Prf/file.html

http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/index.ph ... 2FLitwilly

The version provided is 1.1 shareware.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Magazine cover disk catalog:
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/
Frenkel
5-bit member

Post by Frenkel »

Yeah, I would also like to see Little Willy on this site.
I can't find another download link for this Crystal Caves Clone anywhere else on the internet.
Thank you Hallfiry for digging this game up.
Hallfiry
7-bit super nerd

Post by Hallfiry »

Frenkel wrote:Yeah, I would also like to see Little Willy on this site.
I can't find another download link for this Crystal Caves Clone anywhere else on the internet.
Thank you Hallfiry for digging this game up.
The game seems to be quite rare indeed. The only other reasonable mention of it that I could find, was a list of the games on the very CD that I got the game from (hemming Jump & Run Games 3rd Edition).
Also, credit where credit is due: Frenkel found the game in my catalog. I only pulled the CD from the shelf and uploaded the file after he asked me for it.
And lastly: you're welcome. :)
Magazine cover disk catalog:
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

The main character's sprite seems to be an edit of the main character in Secret Agent. I would not be surprised if the game is indeed a hack of either Secret Agent or Crystal Caves. The image of the baby on the title screen also seems vaguely familiar, although I can't quite place where it could be from. Somehow he reminded me of Elroy Jetson, but not sure.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Little Willy is an interest game for sure, but if it's a Secret Agent/Crystal Caves hack, is it legal?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
Frenkel
5-bit member

Post by Frenkel »

I don't think it's a hack of Secret Agent or Crystal Caves, because the file formats are different.

I was looking for games that use the ProGraphx Toolbox, like Secret Agent, Crystal Caves, Dark Ages, Duke Nukem 1 and FBI Fred.
Most of these games have data files that are 8064 bytes in size. So I searched for more games with such files.
And then Little Willy came up. When I saw the first screen shot, I thought I had a match.
But when I examined the data files, I saw the file formats are different and the string ProGraphx doesn't appear inside the executable.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

For the record, I just compared the main character sprites in Secret Agent and this, they're not identical although quite similar.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

MrFlibble wrote:
Hallfiry wrote:There's a Build 136 dated 18.10.1995 that is marked confidential, but still reasonably widespread back then:
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/index.ph ... 19521&o=da
(We have it on magazine CDs from France, Poland, Czech Republic and Italy)
Interesting! Is it known if it was released to some magazine previewers or beta testers?
Some clarification on the status of v0.136 can be found in the old newsgroup messages. Here's the demo release announcement made by Bethesda:
Hello all,
Just posting to inform everyone that the demo for Bethesda's long
awaited Terminator: Future Shock is now available from our WWW and FTP sites:
WWW --> http://www.bethsoft.com/cgi-bin/futureshock.cgi
FTP --> ftp.bethsoft.com/pub/Demos/shockdem.zip

Just a few notes about the demo, that you should know...
- The demo must be unzipped using the '-d' option (pkunzip -d shockdem.zip)
- The demo is not playable under Microsoft Windows 95
- The demo is approx 4.2 MB zipped, and approx 20 MB unzipped
- All comments and feedback should be sent to 'sh...@bethsoft.com'

Enjoy the demo,
LoneWolf
the webmaster
Bethesda Softworks WWW Staff [source]
The date this message was posted on shows for me as Oct 19, 1995, which is probably due to time zone correction. The demo version this announcement refers to is most likely to be v0.136 which was released on Oct 20, 1995 according to its readme, whereas v0.144 was released on Oct 24, 1995. Also this message suggests that there was a demo patch for Future Shock. Again, this patch probably updated the initially released demo to v0.144.

I have briefly checked the catalogue, but the zipped version of the v0.136 demo is not found on any of the CDs.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

MrFlibble wrote:I've been randomly searching for info about DOS shareware games, and found this interesting game called Cold Dreams. Here's a video showing gameplay on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/A2R4TV2loGs

It's a nicely done shareware platform game with quite good graphics and music. Unfortunately, it seems to be incredibly rare too. So far, I've only been able to find a few "abandonware" sites with the full pirated version, and also mentions of the shareware version in a file that is supposedly called COLDREAM.ZIP and is 2167442 bytes in size, but both webpages that mention it no longer exist except in Google's cache.
Guess what, I packaged the recently found shareware v1.06 with PKZIP v2.04 with maximum compression, and the resulting file turned out to be exactly 2,167,442 bytes in size. You can get it here: coldream.zip.

Note that, like with the repackaged demo of The Elder Scrolls: Arena (arenad.zip), the resulting file may not be byte-by-byte identical to its hypothetical original counterpart, even though the file sizes match, because of the order in which the individual files inside the archive were packed. This however is largely irrelevant as the contents are all original.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I've just added Guimo to the wishlist summary.
Untamed
Less than a nibble

Post by Untamed »

I got a couple of games to add to the wishlist, mostly because I've only ever seen shareware versions of these games

Outlaw 97
Immoral Cumbat
Lunick
6-bit nerd

Post by Lunick »

Untamed wrote:I got a couple of games to add to the wishlist, mostly because I've only ever seen shareware versions of these games
Immoral Cumbat
Why
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Untamed wrote:Immoral Cumbat
I'm sorry but this kind of games are not going to be hosted here under any circumstances.
Untamed
Less than a nibble

Post by Untamed »

MrFlibble wrote: I'm sorry but this kind of games are not going to be hosted here under any circumstances.
I guess you cant throw the end result at someone else to host? Like a hot potato?
This is for a friend

Outlaw 97 is okay though, right?
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Untamed wrote:I guess you cant throw the end result at someone else to host? Like a hot potato?
This is for a friend
You can ask Jason Scott (who has created cd.textfiles.com and works on archiving old games at the Internet Archive). His contacts should be publicly available, although I can't guarantee he'll answer you.
Untamed wrote:Outlaw 97 is okay though, right?
I'm not familiar with this game but it's apparently available here.