Keen Dreams source code

To declutter the game request forum, fulfilled requests will be moved here
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Keen Dreams source code

Post by Malvineous »

I know DOSGuy has other priorities at the moment, but when things improve, hopefully a link can be added to the Keen Dreams page for the source code release:

https://github.com/keendreams/keen

I'm guessing everyone knows about it by now, but if not, I have written a small blurb on the KeenWiki summarising the chain of events leading up to the release:

http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_Dr ... de_release
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: Keen Dreams source code

Post by DOSGuy »

Thanks for the links, as always. What I think I'm seeing is that there is a single set of source code files, some of which remain unaltered since v1.0, and others which were updated in later versions going up to about v1.92. In other words, this is the source code for v1.92. Do I have that right?

Thanks for your understanding about my personal issues. I've actually been very busy working on the site's underlying code all summer because, every month or two when the site gets mentioned on some popular site somewhere, visitors spike by up to 20x the normal amount and then HostGator sends me a suspension notice for abusing their resources and threatens to cut off my service if I don't get my resource usage under control. I then follow all of their instructions to make better use of indexes, rewrite database queries, and every other optimization technique in the book, which proves insufficient the next time half of Russia shows up in one day. That has, unfortunately, taken much higher priority than adding content since, if my account gets suspended, there won't be any content. I've been working hard, but most of my work is invisible to visitors. I rarely check the forum any more, so I must thank MrFlibble for administrating the forum.

That said, I would have still found some time for things like this if I hadn't also been going through the aforementioned personal issues. A friend went to jail, an acquaintance committed suicide, an error by my bank caused my taxes to be audited and I had to get them to fix it to avoid expensive consequences, and my wife told me that she was leaving, all in the span of a few weeks. Other than my friend still being in jail, those issues are largely resolved now; my wife moved out a few days ago. My top priority now is refurnishing the house and learning how to take care of myself, but I hope to have more time to work on site content someday soon.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
Litude
File Contributor

Post by Litude »

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been going through. It's good to hear that you are doing better.

Regarding the source code, it includes the source code for all different versions of Keen Dreams (as specified here). The source code for version 1.93 was lost though, and it was reconstructed using some other version as base meaning it isn't exactly 100% authentic. You just have to navigate the branches and commits to get the source codes for the different versions.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

DOSGuy wrote:I then follow all of their instructions to make better use of indexes, rewrite database queries, and every other optimization technique in the book, which proves insufficient the next time half of Russia shows up in one day.
Sometimes I post references to the forums here in a Russian old gaming forum - could that be the cause? If you just give me the dates of recent peaks I could cross-check them with my posts in that forum which contain links here.

NOTE: The discussion of site overload issues has been moved here.