Wyrmsun - an RTS game inspired by Warcraft II

Discuss classic PC games
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Wyrmsun - an RTS game inspired by Warcraft II

Post by MrFlibble »

While browsing IndieDB a game called Wyrmsun caught my attention. It very conspicuously copies the visual style of Warcraft II, with much of its graphics apparently based on Blizzard's art. Hopefully the developers use "clean room reverse engineering" to produce their graphics, and not just edit Warcraft II sprites.

Anyway, the game has the appearance of an original, quality product. It is still in development, but it already has two playable and two non-playable factions, three tilesets, a random map generator, and a bunch of features not found in Warcraft II (such as units getting experience etc.).

Wyrmsun runs on the Stratagus engine, which is an open source engine recreation of Warcraft II.

Here's a gameplay video of the single-player campaign mode (showing a slightly earlier version):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtVORQkWBzw

And yeah, the music in the game is borrowed from The Battle for Wesnoth :)

[Edit] Some discussion of the game's art can be found here.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Re: Wyrmsun - an RTS game inspired by Warcraft II

Post by developertn »

Wow! 108MB is a hefty download. My estimation is taking an hour and a half to download it. I don't know if I could handle the wait. hehe

Anyways, I am giving everyone a chance that I can take notice of. So hope you can get your games in because I have an interview tomorrow at 8am with my psychiatrist. If I don't pass the test I am not coming home. So vote for me hehe

I'm not looking to be a beauty queen however I would like to have at least true friends and true families. hehe

I'll settle for 1 person in my life who is true to me! hehe

For what it is worth, I actually played Xargon and it was too complex for me. However, I did get to listen to the music for at least a good 30 minutes while I was programming. So that is pretty impressive. For a jam to be in my ears that long is close to my favourite songs.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

For what it is worth, I love that fact that Wyrmsun is in WinRAR format. I got WinRAR as a gift from my aunt a while back and never get to use it much. I love WinRAR. It kicks. hehe
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Good luck with your interview! I hope everything will be fine!
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Thank you MrFlibble! Well, I am back for another 3 months so I am happy. It went well. My psychiatrist is a regular and we are friends. I am actually getting used to the familiar faces after 8 years or so of every 3 months assessments.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Version 1.0.2 has been released:
Wyrmsun's version 1.0.2 has been released, bringing the Movements of the Suebi mini-expansion to the game. During the development time for this new version, many improvements have been made to Wyrmsun, as you will see below.

1. New UI

Wyrmsun's UI has been thoroughly revamped, to better adequate itself to the growing character of the game.
Teuton Swordsman

2. New Civilization: The Teutons

The Teuton civilization represents iron age West Germanic tribes (such as the Saxons and the Suebi), along with medieval Germans. The Germanic civilization can transform into it after researching all bronze age technologies, making iron age technologies available.
Wyrmsun v1.0.2

3. Bastions and Burgs

Town halls can now upgrade into a more militarized building, the Bastion for the Dwarves and the Burg for the Teutons. These buildings provide garrisoning space inside them, from which your archers can attack from a vantage point.
Wyrmsun v1.0.2

4. The Movements of the Suebi Campaign

A new series of quests has been added about the tribe of the Suebi. During its storyline, you will follow their first incursion into Gaul under Ariovistus, through the establishment of a new kingdom by Marbod, the chieftain of the Suebic tribe of the Marcomanni, and finally follow a group of Suebi as they carve a new home for them in the Roman province of Galicia. Two new dwarven quests have also been added.
Teuton Swordsman

5. New Resource: Stone

A new resource has been added to the game, stone. It is used to construct towers and burgs by the Teutons, and by the Dwarves to build most of their structures.
Wyrmsun v1.0.2

6. Changes to Gold Mining

Gold rocks have been introduced to the game, being readily harvestable. Gold mines now need to be built on top of gold deposits before the gold within can be harvested.
Gold Mining Improvements

7. And Much More!

Many other changes have been done besides these, which you can read in the changelog in Wyrmsun's readme file.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

I've been so preoccupied with a lot of other things like cutting the grasses, keeping the place clean, getting updated eye glasses and such that I forgot to check this game out. Anyways thanks for the update it is downloading now onto my computer. I should be letting you all know my first impression within a short time.

If I forget again please remind me!

On a side note while getting my glasses I had the option of getting contact lenses. My mother wisely chose eye-glasses instead for me. The reason is contact lenses is an artificial object that could poke your eye or get your eyes irritated. Although the chances are rare if changed often or kept clean it is advised to use only in emergency only.

Don't worry about appearances. If someone does not love you for what you look like and all they do not deserve to be your family!
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Jesus Christ!hehe This is the second time I downloaded the game. I did not get to check out the first one however this second version would not work under DOS. Furthermore, I even tried running it in XP and that did not work either. So to save everyone else the pain of downloading this second version, I am letting everyone know that at least the second version would not work at least for me anyways.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

developertn wrote:this second version would not work under DOS. Furthermore, I even tried running it in XP and that did not work either. So to save everyone else the pain of downloading this second version, I am letting everyone know that at least the second version would not work at least for me anyways.
Wyrmsun certainly does not work under DOS. As for Windows XP, I'm not sure but I think it might not work with versions below Service Pack 2 or 3. These open source projects sometimes don't have much on the side of backwards compatibility with older Windows versions, regrettably.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Tien, regarding your Windows XP issue. I asked the author of Wyrmsun about compatibility, and he says that it should run fine on Windows 98 and above. However, he hasn't tested the game under WinXP himself. So could you please post some details about which Windows XP version you have (Service Pack 1 or later), and what kind of error message you get when the game does not start?

Also, for anyone interested, Andrettin, the author of Wyrmsun, is posting updates at FED2k Discussion.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

I have Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 pre-installed.

The error message I get under Command Prompt is 'wrymrun' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Furthermore testing by clicking on the icon does not work either.

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

The icon says "wyrmsun" Stratagus - Strategy Gaming Engine.

File version: 2.3.0.0

Date Created: 5/2/2015 10:56AM

Size: 2.33MB

Thank you Jesus Christ, my The LORD of all hosts, and Mary that it did not break down my computer!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Thanks for the feedback! I'll redirect your info to the developers.

One thing though, where did you unpack the game files? The programme should run fine from any location, but since it complains about wrong configuration then maybe it cannot find some configuration files?
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Thank you God#!!

Post by developertn »

Jesus!hehe

Well, I unpacked it in Snow Leopard and moved ported it over to the C:\ directory in XP.

Thank you my The LORD of all hosts that one day I marry my SOULMATE officially the right way the first time from now on!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I've moved your reply here from another thread where it accidentally ended up.

You're running dual boot MacOS and WinXP?
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Jesus Christ! Yes, I am running dual boot MacOS and XP. However, I usually work in MacOS. When I work in MacOS, I usually use XP using VirtualBox for Mac. Before I release any softwares, I usually use DOSBox 0.74 for MacOS to test it works for the users on here. :D