Rare Xargon Artwork

Discuss classic PC games
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Rare Xargon Artwork

Post by MrFlibble »

kilodude wrote:I just looked at some screenshots of it and honestly it looks like someone took the tile sets created for "Xargon" and/or "Jill of the Jungle" and horribly mangled them so people wouldn't recognize that they were used in another game.
Heh, if you want to take a look at some real shameless ripoff, that would be Sinaria:

I think they didn't even bother much to edit the main character's sprite who looks like Malvineous outright. Don't know about the other sprites in the game but they probably are "borrowed" from somewhere too.

Hey, even the Apogee guys weren't above this (even more info here).
Calvero
5-bit member

Post by Calvero »

That happened not only with Duke Nukem 1 and 2, but also with Major Stryker.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I've just realised that Joe Hitchens was also project leader, designer and artist of Inner Worlds. I did not expect that but at the same time it's probably unsurprising.

Sometimes it's very interesting to find such unexpected "ties" between games via the people involved.
kilodude
Classic Game Author

Post by kilodude »

MrFlibble wrote:I've just realised that Joe Hitchens was also project leader, designer and artist of Inner Worlds. I did not expect that but at the same time it's probably unsurprising.

Sometimes it's very interesting to find such unexpected "ties" between games via the people involved.
It is definitely interesting. Joe actually provided artwork that he used in some of his Nintendo games that I created levels with. Then he redesigned them so they would be different. You should see those tiles but don't expect me to provide them. :-D
-Allen, Game Designer/Programmer of "Kiloblaster" and "Xargon." Game Design for "Super ZZTs: Monster Zoo" and bonus levels of "Snarf."