An early DOS adventure game played in real time. [Icon]

These requests for help have been resolved, but they may help you find a game that you're looking for
qrleon
Less than a nibble

An early DOS adventure game played in real time.

Post by qrleon »

This has been bugging me for a month, maybe someone will recognise what game I'm babbling about.

Probably set in a dungeon or a cave. The intro plays Ride of the Valkyries through the PC speaker. You can attack with a dagger or zap a wand at enemies such as bats. Standing in a river will sap health to simulate drowning. The graphics were extremely primitive, and I recall that the game had been made freeware much later on. I was excited a while ago to play it, but the EXE would only generate corrupted save files. Maybe it works properly through DOSBox. The game used to be on Home of the Underdogs, but I can't seem to find it even if I search with release dates from oldest to newest.

(Nope, it's not Rogue or anything that displays in textmode)

So: Very primitive action/adventure, plays Valkryies on bootup, stabbing/zapping bats with a wand. Does this ring a bell?
qrleon
Less than a nibble

Re: An early DOS adventure game played in real time.

Post by qrleon »

OH MAN I FOUND IT

It's called "Icon" and it was made in 1984. The savegames seem to work now. I was worried for a while that I had dreamt it up.

Great site, by the way.

(Edit: I guess it was textmode, technically.)
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: An early DOS adventure game played in real time.

Post by DOSGuy »

Interesting looking game.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.