No votes
1 (lowest)
No votes

Total votes: 0

AutoAdmin
Forum Administrator

Chomp for Windows

Post by AutoAdmin »

Feel free to rate and discuss this game.
If RGB Classic Games matters to you, tell someone!
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

Re: Chomp for Windows

Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey »

Heh, I remember getting this pre-installed on my Win 3.1 computer back in the day. It sucked back then and - surprise - it still sucks now. It's also unplayable on pretty much any computer that's not older than 15 years. If you're looking for a good Pac Man clone for your PC, there's plenty of freeware ones that are way better than this one.

One I used to be quite fond of back in the day - of course, I'm talking about the pre-MAME days :-) - is called Pac PC/MS Pac PC (it's a DOS game, but hey, this site isn't called Classic DOS Games for nothing, right?). I've played it for a little while the other day and it's one of the best for-DOS Pac Man clones that I can remember. Maybe worth putting up on the site?
Chinese checkers. Mashed potatoes! And a tyrannosaurus rex!
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Using Ctrl+F11 to slow the DOSBox emulation to, I think, 1% made this game playable for me. I think it's a pretty decent Pac-Man game, other than not having any internal mechanism for determining the user's CPU speed and adjusting itself to match.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

A better Win16 clone is Ms. Chomp, but that uses copyrighted audio (Ms Pacman and Gunstar Heroes) and visual (Ms Pacman looks exactly alike). It's also the Ms. variation which doesn't play exactly the same obviously.
ugetab
Less than a nibble

Post by ugetab »

You can actually play version 1.2 normally in windows, if you fiddle with 1 windows file after setting the game's Animation Delay to 999.

Once it's set to 999 in the game, go to Start>Run, and paste this into the box:
%windir%\win.ini

Go to the end of it, and you'll find:
[Chomp]
Delay=999

Change it to:
[Chomp]
Delay=34463

That fixed it nicely for me. You can have it anywhere from 0 to 65535. Any higher, and you break the integer boundary.

I tried to expand the text box input to 5, but some unknown factor is maxing out the characters at 4, so here's my alternative:

For Chomp 1.2 only:
0x1546 = 68 9F 86 90 (Original: FF 36 E9 19)

This will make the settings box always have a delay amount of 34463. I only did it for kicks, really.

Enjoy.