Alien Cabal

Requests for games to be added to the site
AlienCabalGuy
Less than a nibble

Alien Cabal

Post by AlienCabalGuy »

Looks like you already have the full version of Alien Cabal in the forum here. As the sole owner of Alien Cabal I give you permission to allow any member of the website to download the full version of Alien Cabal. There is a DOS version and DirectX version (Ver200.zip). Have fun.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Alien Cabal

Post by MrFlibble »

Mr. Greg Taylor I presume? Welcome to RGB Classic Games! Thank you for your generous permission!
Cire
6-bit nerd

Post by Cire »

Thanks. I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions regarding Alien Cabal. I was wondering if the source code is still available and, in that case, if you would be willing to release it? Also, I read here: http://www.philscomments.com/about/ that the Engine is based on the Doom II Engine. I Think it would be interesting to know whether this is true or not. I would be interested to know how the data file format (GOB) does work.
Best Regards
AlienCabalGuy
Less than a nibble

Post by AlienCabalGuy »

Yes, that's me. Alien Cabal was a lot of fun to write and publish and I would like it to continue to live on as freeware.
AlienCabalGuy
Less than a nibble

Post by AlienCabalGuy »

Cire wrote:Thanks. I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions regarding Alien Cabal. I was wondering if the source code is still available and, in that case, if you would be willing to release it? Also, I read here: http://www.philscomments.com/about/ that the Engine is based on the Doom II Engine. I Think it would be interesting to know whether this is true or not. I would be interested to know how the data file format (GOB) does work.
Best Regards
Yes, I still have all the source code. It is all original written by myself. It uses no third party engines or code. I wrote the 3D engine myself, along with all the other code. The texture mapper is written in highly optimized assembly code for speed. As far as releasing the source code - maybe. Do you mean releasing the entire thing or just the editor code? The GOB file is my own format. I would be happy to release that and even the source code for the VEdit program used to create the GOB files.

- AlienCabalGuy (aka Greg Taylor)
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Jesus Christ!hehe
AlienCabalGuy wrote:
Cire wrote:Thanks. I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions regarding Alien Cabal. I was wondering if the source code is still available and, in that case, if you would be willing to release it? Also, I read here: http://www.philscomments.com/about/ that the Engine is based on the Doom II Engine. I Think it would be interesting to know whether this is true or not. I would be interested to know how the data file format (GOB) does work.
Best Regards
Yes, I still have all the source code. It is all original written by myself. It uses no third party engines or code. I wrote the 3D engine myself, along with all the other code. The texture mapper is written in highly optimized assembly code for speed. As far as releasing the source code - maybe. Do you mean releasing the entire thing or just the editor code? The GOB file is my own format. I would be happy to release that and even the source code for the VEdit program used to create the GOB files.

I don't know you personally, however, IF it is true that you wrote the code yourself then I'm amazed#!!

I have never graduated high school or college, but the level of education I have I worked for.

So I always have great admiration for what others have accomplished.

For instance, no one can take away that my own father Nguyen Binh Thuy is a helicopter pilot even when he is old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although nothing special, my own mother Huong Thi Vu still is strong enough to put up with my nagging!!!!! Thank God.

So the reason I say this is I am impress that you use your own code.

My code is my own however there are parts that would not work without others' help.

For instance, there is a section in my source where David Brackeen's code is used so it shows 256 color.
This makes it possible for photo-realistic images.

Another section is my friend "Quadko" gamepad routine.
This makes it possible to use the XBOX360 controller and the Sony PlayStation controller on DOSBox.

A third is the idea of transparent sprites. The coding is mine however the idea is important.

Mr Sir Allen Pilgrim gave me the idea for using multiple screens for smooth pixel movements without smearing.

So the point I am trying to make is I had help along the way.

Someone develop the C language.

Someone develop the assembly language.

You get the idea maybe.

Anyways, I try not to look at other's source code however what you produce I congratulate you on what is your own. :D
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Jesus Christ!hehe

By the way, if the 3D and texturing is your own creation I am a fan.

I love things like physics modeling and such although I'm not anywhere near that level of understanding.

I'm stupid, but by God's grace I love both my real parents!

Dad who is a helicopter pilot: Nguyen Binh Thuy
Mom who is the perfect mom: Huong Thi Vu

Sister who is the true professional degree programmer: Nguyen Khoa Thi
Sister who is the true professional degree worker: Nguyen Khoa Thuyen
Lunick
6-bit nerd

Post by Lunick »

I'd love to hear more about Alien Cabal! I am not personally someone that would use the source code but having it out there prevents precious data being lost to the future generation who may find your game :)

It would be nice to have a place to download the game from officially too!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Lunick wrote:It would be nice to have a place to download the game from officially too!
Seconded! I think it would also be great if you provided a license file permitting distribution and outlining the terms thereof.
AlienCabalGuy
Less than a nibble

Post by AlienCabalGuy »

Unfortunately I gave up the Alien Cabal web site quite a while ago so there is no official place to go for the download. If you can suggest somewhere where I can upload it I can do that. As far as a license file - well I never made one. I'll try to crank one out when I have some time. But rest assured, I am the sole owner of Alien Cabal and can prove it in many ways. As such I am authorizing RGB Classic Games (www.classicdosgames.com) to provide the full version of Alien Cabal (DOS or DirectX) to any registered user of the site.

MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

AlienCabalGuy wrote:If you can suggest somewhere where I can upload it I can do that.
You can use the MEGA file hosting service - the free account comes with 50 GiB space, and you can make download links to your files that will not restrict download in any way (no intrusive ads or anything).
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

You can also use MediaFire https://www.mediafire.com/

You do not get much room. However if you only have a couple games twelve gigabytes should be enough for one game or such.

[Added] If you notice it is "https" - so it is secure compared to other hosting sites#!!
Cire
6-bit nerd

Post by Cire »

Any source code that you would be willing to share would be great. If you would be willing to release the VEdit and GOB source code, that would be very good.
Cire
6-bit nerd

Post by Cire »

Really sorry for double posting, but Greg was generous enough to send me the source code to VEdit (Alien Cabal's level editor) and allowed me to share it with anyone. Therefor, I posted it on my GitHub: https://github.com/CireG/Alien-Cabal-VEdit
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

This is very cool, thanks!