PC emulators online ?

The place to ask for technical support and offer assistance
GarryRicketson
Less than a nibble

PC emulators online ?

Post by GarryRicketson »

I just started trying to put a PC emulator online, on my website,but know very little about this,
I did get some results useing RETRO,..http://creativeminds.webege.com/RETRO-0 ... pplet.html, Later I did download JPC, and another called "dioscorri", Now I wonder if anyone can recomend which is best to use, also I never could figure out how to set up the applette code for JPC,...Not knowing anything about java script, or how to write the script, Anway if anyone this forum has the time, and knows enough about this, I sure could use some "step by step", help,..
With Retro, he had a script I was able to use for the applett, I tried useing it as a template, for JPC, but that didn't work,..
If there are more specific details needed, let me know, and I will try to explain better what I am trying to do, the above URL, will help some what but since it dose not work to well, it isn't exactly what I had in mind,...Guess thats about it for now,
From Garry
More About me my forum "CreativeMinds"
deathshadow
Classic Game Author

Re: PC emulators online ?

Post by deathshadow »

I'm having a bit of trouble with the broken engrish figuring out your goal - but if you're asking about DOS emulators that can run in the browser using JAVA, my advice is forget the one's you're looking at. They appear to be slow, buggy, and not very well thought out.

I would suggest instead using jDOSBox
http://jdosbox.sourceforge.net/

Which is what's used for the online games on this very site... I put together a tiny tutorial over on my site:
http://www.deathshadow.com/jDOSBoxHowTo

Quickly explaining how to get it set up and running, using VALID markup, instead of the deprecated APPLET tag which has no business being used on websites after 1998.

It's really the most robust in terms of emulated hardware (CGA/Tandy/Jr/EGA/VGA/SVGA, Adlib, blaster, CMS, Tandy/Jr sound, etc...) since it's built on the truly robust and solid DosBOX.

Though to be frank, they're ALL so poorly documented it's a miracle anyone gets any of them to actually work.
If everyone is thinking the same, somebody isn't thinking.
GarryRicketson
Less than a nibble

Re: PC emulators online ?

Post by GarryRicketson »

Thank you very much,
I took a quick look at the tutorial, and copied/downloaded it, looks good, I had looked at useing jDosbox, before,
Now with the tutorial, I may be able to get somewhere, I haven't done anything more with this for awhile,
I noticed in the tutorial, you mentioned you have not tried any of this useing Linux, which I just recently switched over to,.. so when I find out more, I will let you know anything I can, relateing to with linux,..or I can just wok with windows, but I did see in some things for Linux, they do have a way to usedosbox,
Guess thats about it, thanks again, on this, for sure and I am sure also others will benifit from the tutorial,..
from Garry
From Garry
More About me my forum "CreativeMinds"