Gizmondo - HOG format

Discuss game modding
guizmox
Less than a nibble

Gizmondo - HOG format

Post by guizmox »

Hello everybody,

First post here :)
I'm looking for help to unpack .HOG files from the Gizmondo handheld console and I don't really know how to find someone for help.
I can pay for that service of course.
I successfully managed to get information from the original developper (Warthog games - was developper for PC/PS2 games and already used HOG files for games such as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?t=26537)) but he unfortunately did not preserved any tool/data that can help althought he added some technical data :

" I’m a bit miffed I can’t remember what format I used – but looking back at Trailblazer, POD and Richard Burns Rally every one used something different (I tailored the various compression methods to best fit in with the game’s data)."

"– I created dozens of formats during the Warthog /Gizmondo era so without delving into the loader I couldn’t really hazard a guess as to what I used.
It would be something based upon Lempel Ziv, but the entropy encoder could be anything from byte wise LZSS, to Huffman and/or Arithmetic coding of literals and match lengths."

In Gizmondo's case, HOG file contains the whole game data, and at some point, I was able to see the content structure (paths and files) using a quickBMS plugin but sounds and sprites are in a .BWAV and .BTGA format. Any idea on how to read those ?

Let me know if you need additionnal information :)

THank you !