Free alternatives to classic games

Discuss classic PC games
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Free alternatives to classic games

Post by MrFlibble »

Apparently there was a free data replacement project for Descent/Descent II called Freescent. There was some moderate progress, but it has not been updated since 2007.

Project discussion:
http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/frm/index.php?topic=657.0
http://forum.descent2.de/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=248
http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=13270

[Edit] There's a somewhat newer project called Flight Back. Here's a YouTube video.

The project is part of the Open Descent Foundation - for some reason, their website is currently inaccessible, but there's a Wayback Machine copy.

Some info on Flight Back can be found in the PlanetDescent forums:
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php/ ... ml#msg6602
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Recently a Windows download was added to the LordsAWar! website. Previously, only the source code was available.

The build is v0.3.0. There are two single-player scenarios, skirmish mode on random maps, and network multiplayer.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Annex: Conquer the World is a free, open source real-time strategy game based on the MegaGlest engine, which is apparently inspired by the Command & Conquer series of games, as well as Earth 2140 and sequels, Warzone 2100 and StarCraft. There are four playable factions, several terrain tilesets, customizable tech trees, campaign scenarios, skirmish and mutliplayer modes.

The same developer is working on another RTS with a space sci-fi setting, called Terra Centauri: Last Stand. A beta is available here.

openKB is an engine recreation project for New World Computing's King's Bounty, with planned support for the original game's files as well as a free open source data set. The development is in its early stages, so no downloads yet.

Free Mars is a free, open source turn-based strategy game inspired by Sid Meier's Civilization, Colonization and Alpha Centauri.

Rescue! Max is a remake of Rescue!, a Mac shareware game.

CATharsis is a project to create an open source clone of Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project in Blender. It's not an engine recreation, but rather a stand-alone game similar to DNMP but with its own protagonist, art, levels etc. Rather early stages of development.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Jesus!

Good to know.

I congratulate the developers for any projects made public. Being one for a little time so far makes me realize the inspirations to make the game and the drive to continue it to completion is a hard one. Personally, I've been tapped out right now. However I know God has a plan for everything. At least now I have time to do what I always wanted. I always wanted to finish my studies in programming Borland Turbo C 2.01 and Borland Turbo Assembler 4.1 for MS-DOS 6.22. :D
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

OpenGGS is an open source remake of The Great Giana Sisters (a Super Mario Bros. clone). The author has permission to use original graphics from the Commodore 64 version, but there's also a free tile set as well.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Jesus!

The Commodore 64 is my very first computer that I could remember. I could not believe I learned a bit of machine language back when I was 9 years old.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Dungeon Keeper Herzog Zwei Railroad Tycoon Total Annihilation Fleet Command, Harpoon
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Added the free/prototype version of Sublevel Zero as a game inspired by Descent.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Feudal Wars is a project of a free browser-based medieval RTS inspired by Age of Empires II. The list of features can be found here, and the project messageboard showcases the graphics and other stuff already done.

According to the FAQ, there will be a kickstarter for the game at some point. There seem to be no plans for a non-browser versions for now, but perhaps the authors will agree to release their assets into public domain and those could be combined with the OpenAge engine recreation of AoE2.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Freedoom v0.10 is out, with lots of improvements. More monsters and almost all weapons have been replaced with higher quality art. Maps have been updated as well.

Wyrmsun v1.8.0 adds the custom hero option and inventories for heroes and high-level units.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Added Mechanized Assault & eXploration Reloaded to the list as it allows to use a free set of graphics and not just the resources from the original M.A.X..
bartread
Less than a nibble

Post by bartread »

I'm not sure if this thread or the List of free closed source games thread is the best place for this, but I have a couple of free alternatives to classic arcade games that I've written:

Star Castle
  • Star Citadel - the original Star Castle inspired Yars' Revenge on the Atari 2600, whereas Star Citadel is a more straight up homage to the original game; your mission is to destroy the shielded rotating gun turret in the middle of the screen, whilst dodging the mines and energy projectiles it shoots out.
Asteroids
  • Shoot The Rocks - Asteroids needs very little in the way of introduction; my version combines elements of both Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe, in that you have the hyperspace, flip, and shield options available to you; I also plan on adding satellites, in addition to the flying saucers that already attack you.
Both these games have classic modes, which are designed to play as much like the original games as possible: challenging in the case of Star Citadel because I've never played the original Star Castle. The standard mode is designed to ease you into the games a bit more: they start of easier and increase in difficulty in a more progressive fashion than perhaps the originals did (I don't need to extract 20p pieces as quickly as possible from players). The ships control in a slightly more fluid fashion in the standard variants, whereas they demonstrate more inertia in the classic variants.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy these and I'd be very happy to hear comments or suggestions.

Bart
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Here's a nice game: Robot Redemption. It's based on the source code of Hovertank 3D and plays rather similarly.

And The Vigilance of Nephthys is fairly similar to / inspired by Catacomb 3D games.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Updated the first post, with a major overhaul of the lists and the content in general. I decided to focus on projects that aim for accurate recreation of original proprietary/non-free titles, rather than just being a generic "Ersatz" for popular games. I also cleaned up the lists form projects that have been abandoned before reaching any meaningful stage in development, and provided Wayback Machine links for sites that are no longer online.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Added more titles:

Lethal Tender Arkanoid Bomberman Columns Doom Lemmings Mortal Kombat Pac-Man Tetris Trugg