Wyrmsun - an RTS game inspired by Warcraft II

Discuss classic PC games
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Wyrmsun - an RTS game inspired by Warcraft II

Post by MrFlibble »

Is the Wyrmsun launch error message only displayed when running it natively or in VirtualBox too?

Have you tried re-installing the game, perhaps to a different location? XP shouldn't be as quirky about the system disk as the more recent Windows editions, but just in case.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

I haven't really tried installing it on the native XP. Other games have worked for me so it is with this one so far. I do not remember all of them working. However it seems to be a hit and miss. These DEMOs unless it is supported by the author is hard to work especially if you are geared towards only a single person.

For instance, I have been personally trying to implement the unchained mode so I can use page flipping however DOSBox doesn't seem to like unchained mode. The funny thing is XP likes it however it is still quirky right now. DOSBox is supposed to mimic the VGA memory and all, but it doesn't support unchain mode which uses hardware ports instead of regular programming direct to the screen. A little side track, however, authentic true hardware uses port however DOSBox 0.74 doesn't seem to support that type of programming at the moment.

A concrete example is direct VGA programming would do something like roughly "place a pixel at that location on the screen".

This example is supported by DOSBox 0.74.

I might be wrong, however, hardware support might not work using port in assembly or C?

A port command is specifically "out (port number), (value to be out)"

So you would state something like "out dx, 12"

DX would be the port number, and 12 would be the value you want to place in the hardware through the port number DX

Anyways, it is complex.

What I am trying to say is depending on what the program is trying to do DOSBox and VirtualBox might now work. You might need the real deal using true MS-DOS in a number of cases (I forgot which cases).

Well, if I have the chance I might try it in native XP. There are many things that it could be however other downloads have worked so this one just does work for some reason.

At least for me in my particular system it doesn't work.

Thank you Jesus Christ at least the regular way works! Usually the more complex way uses systems with higher hardware requirements such as Sound-Blaster, VGA with 256K memory and so on. Some VGA cards in my understanding may even have 512K or more memory for video storage space.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Here is an example of a code that works for XP yet not for DOSBox 0.74 although the program is specifically designed for DOS.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/3iar17dgh ... JUSTDEMO.C

http://www.mediafire.com/download/boqnq ... STDEMO.EXE

In this example I have been able to successfully convert part of David Brackeen DEMO into Borland Turbo C 2.01 and Borland Turbo Assembler 4.1 source and run codes. In XP it works fine, and not in DOSBox 0.74. It is just one of those quirks that sometimes are not implemented yet at least as far as I can see.

Thank you Jesus Christ that I have the strength to work 12 hours or more to support my mom and so on and so forth hopefully for the rest of my life#!!
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Jesus Christ! I just found out on true DOS hardwares it is possible these non-standard video modes could burn out your monitor. Through my research on unchain mode which requires at least an actual VGA card with 256K of built-in memory, I found some messing around with how a video mode is programmed could possibly burn out a monitor. The reason being if you do not adjust the sync properly and such it is not being sync with the monitor so it could burn out. At least this seems to be true for the old hardwares which in my experiences are heavily electronics sensitive. These days everything seems "boring".

However, DOSBox 0.74 is a virtual environment. So the display is immitation. So you should have to worry about that happening.

However, to be on the safe side it is best to leave these unusual modes alone since people who still have vintage hardwares...
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Wyrmsun v1.0.3 has been released. The game will be published (and sold) through Desura and Steam, but will remain free and open source. Paid versions are for those who want to support the development of the game, and as a bonus they will get automatic installation and updates.