dos box / major stryker repeat rate problem

The place to ask for technical support and offer assistance
jg007
4-bit nibble

dos box / major stryker repeat rate problem

Post by jg007 »

Just noticed that you have the full version of major stryker so Ithought I would relive some of the many hours playing it but.....

the key press rate for the alt key was just too slow :(, unless I hammer it the ship shoots too slowly, any suggestions? I would far rather just leave my finger on the yek and not destroy my keyboard ! :)

Jg007
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

I just played through the first episode on Beginner. Man, that takes me back.

The slow auto-fire is part of the game. The "R" power-up temporarily gives you rapid auto-fire. I hold Alt whenever not much is going on on the screen, and I keep my eyes open for rapid fire. I checked the repeat rate of my keyboard in Control Panel, and it was already set to the fastest setting, so other than third-party software, you can't get the Alt button to achieve the same repeat rate while holding it as you can by hammering on it. Sorry!

Some keyboards are designed to take a lot more punishment than others. Ultimately, I wouldn't be too worried about damaging your keyboard, since it's designed to survive a lot of keystrokes, as much as I'd worry about a repetitive strain injury.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
jg007
4-bit nibble

thanks!

Post by jg007 »

oh well, I did notice that it went quicker at one point but didn't realise that that was because I had picked up a powerup <:)

Thanks for the speedy reply though!.

ps. guess you didn't think much of that llamatron then :))
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

I have at least a dozen games sitting in a folder to be reviewed and uploaded, and I have an interview lined up, and prospects for more, as well as some game liberations to announce. The site will develop in cycles, with periods of extensive activity in the winter, and less during the rest of the year. I'm a government employee, and the contracts always expire in November. About 80% of my department gets laid off in the winter until the new budget kicks in, and everyone gets called back in the spring. I apologize for the long wait, but I'll have all day, every day to work on the site as soon as I'm unemployed. Things should start picking up in 8 business days.
Dark-Star
Less than a nibble

Post by Dark-Star »

Can I please have the full version of Major Stryker if it is legal to do so? I first played that game at me g-ma's house on a monochrome monitor and PC speaker sound. Didn't ever hear the Adlib soundtrack until 2 years ago.

Wow! Talk about bringing back memories...heh, so anyway can I pleeease have? :lol:
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Yup, it's on the website. Apogee released it as freeware last year.