Help with Java error!

The place to ask for technical support and offer assistance
Cuke
Less than a nibble

Help with Java error!

Post by Cuke »

I'm having problems with the online games. :( The window starts loading, but then turns blank and says "Error. Click for details" in the top left corner. When I click it, a message window that says "jdos.gui.Mainapplet" appears.
classnotfounndexception.jpg
Anyone know what to do?
P.S.: This only started happening right after I updated Java.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: Help with Java error!

Post by DOSGuy »

Java no longer works on the site, and there's probably nothing that I can do about it.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
Cuke
Less than a nibble

Post by Cuke »

DOSGuy wrote:Java no longer works on the site, and there's probably nothing that I can do about it.
Sorry, can you clarify? You mean none of the online games on the site work any more?
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

It works again, but you have to add https://www.classicdosgames.com to your exception list. Find Java in your Control Panel if you're a Windows user.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
NodDawg
Less than a nibble

Post by NodDawg »

Hello!

I am really trying to figure out how to play Castle of the Winds on my Windows 11 laptop. I don't care if it's online or on my local machine, but I can't get anything to work. I have been able to download DosBox and (separately) I've gotten GOG Galaxy to use DosBox to play Settlers II successfully (it comes with a pre-configured file). I did not grow up with Windows or Dos and played the game at a friend's home, so dos commands and dosbox are not intuitive to me, but I think I've figured out most of the details thus far.

As best I can tell, thus far:
-Emulators other than DosBox are unlikely to work on Windows 11.
-The game requires Windows 16 (I'm not familiar with this) or 3.1, and 3.1 is not available for free.

Do I have any options for playing on my local machine for free?

I'd also be happy to play online (at https://www.classicdosgames.com/online/castl11a.html), which brought me to this thread. When the page loads, a purple circle briefly appears before it is replaced by this statement: "Exception thrown, see JavaScript console".

-I'm not sure how to open the console.
-I've seen several statements about accepting a pop-up regarding a security warning, but I've never seen this pop-up.
-I've gone into chrome's settings to add all the white list permissions I can find (including based on various internet searches) to allow permissions and popups by/at classicdosgames.com but nothing changes.

Can anyone please help me get this game running in any capacity? Thank you!

-------------------------------
EDIT: I just realized that the reference to the console was likely to the console on the site itself, which is only visible after checking the box to show it. Here's what my console says:

Starting ...
Using root directory: /root/base
TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'mkdirSync')
Last edited by NodDawg on July 5th, 2023, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.