Help running some old Star Trek Games

The place to ask for technical support and offer assistance
Binsk
Less than a nibble

Help running some old Star Trek Games

Post by Binsk »

Ok, the first game I tried ran fine! but I don't know how to save my game. It is Star Trek First contact. I am told to remove the game disk and insert an un formatted one to save on. Since I'm not using real disks I don't know how to do this. The second game is Prometheus prophecy. The txt file that comes with the game says it won't run unless you set the memory to 0FC0:0000h up to 3000:0000h but I don't know what this means. I looked in the dos box config file but all I saw was memsize=16. I changed this but it did nothing. The last one is rebel universe which simply boots up to a blue screen, but does nothing. Any help is appreciated.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: Help running some old Star Trek Games

Post by DOSGuy »

Those are some interesting problems!

You can mount any folder as a floppy drive by typing "mount a [name of folder] -t floppy". If that doesn't work, you can create an unformatted disk image using the disk creator from Bochs (BXIMAGE) and mount it with "imgmount a [diskimage].img -t floppy". Virtually swapping disks might be a problem in DOSBox, though. Is there a setup utility that would allow you designate the B: drive as the location for saved games? If not, it may be easier to run the game in Bochs (or PCem, or VirtualBox, or VMWare, or VirtualPC, etc.) with a copy of FreeDOS, since the GUI allows the changing of disks during emulation. I'm kind of surprised that a game from 1988 doesn't have a hard drive install option.

I have no idea what Prometheus Prophecy is talking about. What happens when you try to play it in DOSBox?

I don't have enough information to help you with Star Trek: Rebel Universe. How are you attempting to run it?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
Binsk
Less than a nibble

Post by Binsk »

Promethean prophecy says disk error. I can't give you any other information on rebel universe. I can't find any file to install the games.
piltdown_man
Less than a nibble

Post by piltdown_man »

Rebel Universe.
Just downloaded it from abandonia. I unzipped the file into the folder I use for my DOSBOX C: drive where it created a /REBEL folder. Then in DOSBOX I accessed that folder and ran STARTREK. The game seems to run fine. I've just navigated to Heliul V where I'm attempting to put the ship into orbit but I haven't heard any sound yet.

Last time I had problems with DOSBOX it was because I'd tweaked the DOSBOX config file to run another game and I'd forgotten to undo the changes, is your config file standard?
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

piltdown_man wrote:downloaded it from abandonia
Might be because the archive there is incomplete (?). I have no idea about the legal status of this game, and rips tend to be faulty sometimes - not that official releases are always perfect :)