Shadow Warrior Shareware v1.0 and v1.1 in DOSBox

The place to ask for technical support and offer assistance
Post Reply
User avatar
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator
Posts: 1603
Joined: December 9th, 2010, 7:19 am

Shadow Warrior Shareware v1.0 and v1.1 in DOSBox

Post by MrFlibble » March 2nd, 2012, 6:31 am

I decided to check out the old shareware versions of SHadow Warrior recently, but they seem not to work at all under DOSBox. After the loading screen, the DOSBox console goes into numerous reports of "illegal actions", both with v1.0 and v1.1. I've tried running it with default configuration, 320x200, no sound and music; tried changing the CPU type to 486 and Pentium in DOSBox configuration; tried turning off EMS; tried running the game with the -nodemo parameter; tried using the -level and -s options to skip the opening scene and go straight into the game. None of it helped. The shareware v1.2, on the contrary, works pretty fine. Versions 1.0 and 1.1 also run normally under XP, but only in low-res mode. Is there any way to make the old versions work in DOSBox?

User avatar
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd
Posts: 257
Joined: March 17th, 2007, 6:40 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Shadow Warrior Shareware v1.0 and v1.1 in DOSBox

Post by Malvineous » March 2nd, 2012, 9:09 pm

I just tried to test version 1.0 from this site but when I try to unzip it, the .zip file appears to be corrupted. I don't get any errors, but one of the files extracts as a symbolic link to a very long garbage filename.

Code: Select all

$ unzip ~/incoming/3dsw10.zip 
Archive:  /home/adam/incoming/3dsw10.zip
  inflating: INSTALL.EXE             
  inflating: SWSW10.IFC              
  inflating: SWSW10._1               
  inflating: SWSW10._2               
 extracting: SWSW10._3               
 extracting: SWSW10._4               
 extracting: SWSW10._5               
  inflating: SWSW10._6               
�����lating: SWSW10._7               -> '[�TJ1+JoL�ug��IQ$($��J%���G�8��Qg�����Gr�
�9��6"�|�D+�qgFR�'��3�xj�V
1��d�
u�T4�@8"�%�,*چ>����tB*�\ΐ���b�p�r^TT�EG8i��82EP��6����h&�#uD����q����=�U4E�M�H��q*�4��  ����6�'�8�ɜ�`#If�(Y�q�i'�$uC�3�=�fO�`�qq�����qn��D�d�<�
��uF��Iu6�,���Y����c�a��F����;������+   �b`CX�`����d�Y��|W3�cy!���
q��|s�+�1v�n�z�H�!`�����G�jc���q��cMc-�D�O��G���P
Y�0vݙ��)�� �n��̈ �t��:�c-Y��ǵ��Q͋�sзN?�b������9���z       ���o
  inflating: SWSW10._8               
  inflating: SWSW10._9               
  inflating: FILE_ID.DIZ             
finishing deferred symbolic links:
�����W10._7              -> '[�TJ1+JoL�ug��IQ$($��J%���G�8��Qg�����Gr�
�9��6"�|�D+�qgFR�'��3�xj�V
1��d�
u�T4�@8"�%�,*چ>����tB*�\ΐ���b�p�r^TT�EG8i��82EP��6����h&�#uD����q����=�U4E�M�H��q*�4��  ����6�'�8�ɜ�`#If�(Y�q�i'�$uC�3�=�fO�`�qq�����qn��D�d�<�
��uF��Iu6�,���Y����c�a��F����;������+   �b`CX�`����d�Y��|W3�cy!���
q��|s�+�1v�n�z�H�!`�����G�jc���q��cMc-�D�O��G���P
Y�0vݙ��)��p�n��̈ �t��:�c-Y��ǵ��Q͋�sзN?�b������9���z       ���o
I tried downloading a couple of other copies but they all seem the same. So the original .zip isn't 100% compatible, but maybe it will work with a specific version of pkunzip?

User avatar
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator
Posts: 1603
Joined: December 9th, 2010, 7:19 am

Re: Shadow Warrior Shareware v1.0 and v1.1 in DOSBox

Post by MrFlibble » March 3rd, 2012, 12:02 pm

I got the zip from here:
http://ftp.icm.edu.pl/pub/coast/games/3 ... 3dsw10.zip

WinRAR extracts the files fine, and there were also no problems during installation.

User avatar
DOSGuy
Website Administrator
Posts: 1021
Joined: September 2nd, 2005, 8:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Shadow Warrior Shareware v1.0 and v1.1 in DOSBox

Post by DOSGuy » March 3rd, 2012, 1:55 pm

That file is identical to the one on the site. Same file size, same MD5.

I had no trouble unzipping it with WinRAR and installing and playing it in DOSBox. Were you getting this issue when using PKUnzip?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.

User avatar
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator
Posts: 1603
Joined: December 9th, 2010, 7:19 am

Re: Shadow Warrior Shareware v1.0 and v1.1 in DOSBox

Post by MrFlibble » March 3rd, 2012, 2:02 pm

DOSGuy wrote:I had no trouble unzipping it with WinRAR and installing and playing it in DOSBox.
Hmm, maybe the problem is with the Taewoong's build I'm using (versions 1.0 and 1.1 didn't work both with the old v0.71 and a newer v0.74 build)? I'll try the vanilla build to check if it works.

User avatar
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd
Posts: 257
Joined: March 17th, 2007, 6:40 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Shadow Warrior Shareware v1.0 and v1.1 in DOSBox

Post by Malvineous » March 3rd, 2012, 10:16 pm

Interesting. I was using Info-ZIP, the zip utilities that come with most Linux distributions. I've submitted a bug report so hopefully they can fix it.

I tried v1.1 and the first time it came up with an error about corrupted data (verification failed) when running the self-extractor, but this could've been because I paused DOSBox so I could copy the sfx .exe and 3drealms.exe before they were deleted. Running it again without pausing anything worked, and v1.1 installed successfully. However when I actually ran it, it got as far as "Loading sound and graphics" but as soon as it tried to switch into graphics mode it froze with DOSBox printing a bunch of errors:

Code: Select all

Illegal read from f0001132, CS:IP      180:  20cca3
Illegal read from f0001133, CS:IP      180:  20cca3
Illegal read from f0001110, CS:IP      180:  20ccaf
Illegal read from f0001111, CS:IP      180:  20ccaf
Illegal read from f0001060, CS:IP      180:  20ccde
Illegal read from f0001061, CS:IP      180:  20ccde
Illegal read from f0001062, CS:IP      180:  20ccde
Illegal read from f0001063, CS:IP      180:  20ccde
Illegal read from f0001130, CS:IP      180:  20cca3
Illegal read from f0001131, CS:IP      180:  20cca3
Illegal read from f0001132, CS:IP      180:  20cca3
Illegal read from f0001133, CS:IP      180:  20cca3
Illegal read from f0001110, CS:IP      180:  20ccaf
Illegal read from f0001111, CS:IP      180:  20ccaf
This is with DOSBox v0.74. I tried a bunch of things - changing the emulated machine, CPU type, etc. but there was no difference, although setting cputype=386 resulted in DOS4GW crashing inside DOSBox, with the same CS:IP values as in the other error message.

User avatar
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator
Posts: 1603
Joined: December 9th, 2010, 7:19 am

Re: Shadow Warrior Shareware v1.0 and v1.1 in DOSBox

Post by MrFlibble » March 4th, 2012, 4:51 pm

Malvineous wrote:I tried v1.1 and the first time it came up with an error about corrupted data (verification failed) when running the self-extractor, but this could've been because I paused DOSBox so I could copy the sfx .exe and 3drealms.exe before they were deleted. Running it again without pausing anything worked, and v1.1 installed successfully.
If you're using the official build of DOSBox, the installer could have failed to verify the files because the original date stamps on files were not preserved during the installation. For the same reason, it is not possible to patch most Apogee/3D Realms titles in vanilla DOSBox if they had been previously installed within DOSBox, as RTPatch is configured to check file modify dates before patching.
Malvineous wrote:However when I actually ran it, it got as far as "Loading sound and graphics" but as soon as it tried to switch into graphics mode it froze with DOSBox printing a bunch of errors:

Code: Select all

Illegal read from f0001132, CS:IP      180:  20cca3
Illegal read from f0001133, CS:IP      180:  20cca3
Illegal read from f0001110, CS:IP      180:  20ccaf
Illegal read from f0001111, CS:IP      180:  20ccaf
Illegal read from f0001060, CS:IP      180:  20ccde
Illegal read from f0001061, CS:IP      180:  20ccde
Illegal read from f0001062, CS:IP      180:  20ccde
Illegal read from f0001063, CS:IP      180:  20ccde
Illegal read from f0001130, CS:IP      180:  20cca3
Illegal read from f0001131, CS:IP      180:  20cca3
Illegal read from f0001132, CS:IP      180:  20cca3
Illegal read from f0001133, CS:IP      180:  20cca3
Illegal read from f0001110, CS:IP      180:  20ccaf
Illegal read from f0001111, CS:IP      180:  20ccaf
This is with DOSBox v0.74. I tried a bunch of things - changing the emulated machine, CPU type, etc. but there was no difference, although setting cputype=386 resulted in DOS4GW crashing inside DOSBox, with the same CS:IP values as in the other error message.
That's exactly the same problem as I have. I've tried the vanilla build of DOSBox v0.74, and the error is not any different from what I get with the Taewoong build.

User avatar
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator
Posts: 1603
Joined: December 9th, 2010, 7:19 am

Re: Shadow Warrior Shareware v1.0 and v1.1 in DOSBox

Post by MrFlibble » February 3rd, 2013, 2:55 pm

zirkoni at Abandonia Forums has very kindly notified me that the old versions of Shadow Warrior shareware actually work with the recent builds of Taewoong's DOSBox and with DOSBox-X.

In both cases the console still gives some "Illegal read" messages but the game itself works fine (v1.0 and v1.1 alike).

Post Reply