DOSBox settings and such

Discuss just about anything else
leilei
File Contributor

DOSBox settings and such

Post by leilei »

I use yhkwong's build, Direct3D, 0x0 res fullscreen, CRT.d3d.fx shader with the curvature off. All rates 49716, oplemu compat, no gus. I load a S3 bios dumped from my S3 video card. VRAM 1, memsize 16.
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Re: DOSBox settings and such

Post by Malvineous »

You should try oplemu=default and see what you think. 'compat' is an old one that is mostly compatible and sounds close enough to the original hardware, whereas 'default' is a new one written from the ground up by the DOSBox team after reverse engineering an actual OPL chip. There may still be a few bugs in it (which I'm sure the DOSBox devs would love to know about if you find any) but after they fixed the ones I reported during beta testing I haven't heard any problems at all with it.
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

the default one is the 'fast' bitshifty one harekiet wrote which has problems with some games (like Cyber Sphere). compat is the slower floating point one wd did (and it doesn't have problems with Cyber Sphere, but strangely, it has problems with Doom).

I did let Harekiet know about the cybersphere bug......months ago. Since that bug, I had high doubts about the default core
Malvineous
8-bit mega nerd

Post by Malvineous »

Interesting... Do you have any details about where exactly the problems are? I wouldn't mind having a listen. I've often thought about whether it would be possible to write some sort of test code for an OPL synth, to see how accurate it is compared to the original hardware, but the random noise generators would make it difficult I think.
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

Cybersphere's problem is obvious. Missing instruments.