Card game that I want to develop

Discuss coding, porting and creating games
Hallfiry
7-bit super nerd

Card game that I want to develop

Post by Hallfiry »

Some of you might konw the game Triple Triad that appears in Final Fantasy (not sure if 7 or 8 or possibly both). Also some of you might be aware that I'm quite a contributing part of the gaming magazine collectors community.

Quite a while ago I thought it might be interesting to take the game triple triad, make it an online game (like scharesoft has already done with TES Triad many years ago) and fill it with magazine covers (and links to read/download those mags if available).

What follows is an unstructured dump of my thoughts about this thing:
Magazines have different rarities
you can trade mags with your friends
for won battles you get booster packs with magazines
for won battles you get money for which you can buy single mags or boosters of certain sets
completing collections gives you special issues
you can buy premade starter kits
having completer collections improves the stats of magazines in some way
magazines can be melded into special issues
magazines have properties associated with them, depending on their content (systems they cover, type of software, etc.)

Do you think such a game could be enjoyable? It's free to play, ofc.
Last edited by Hallfiry on April 5th, 2015, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magazine cover disk catalog:
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: Card game that I want to develop

Post by DOSGuy »

I'm a big FF7 fan, but I didn't remember Triple Triad. Apparently it's from FF8 and was brought back in FF14. http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Triple_Triad

In general, I support any effort to create new games, and I think the magazine angle is an interesting twist, but I haven't played Triple Triad to say if it's a game I would enjoy playing or not. Still, I say go for it and I'd be happy to check it out.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Heh, this sounds like a pretty interesting and I guess novel concept :) A magazine collector simulator? :lol:

I should say though that I'm unfamiliar with the Triple Triad game, and haven't played any Final Fantasy title either.
Hallfiry
7-bit super nerd

Post by Hallfiry »

MrFlibble wrote:Heh, this sounds like a pretty interesting and I guess novel concept :) A magazine collector simulator? :lol:
It's not 100% novel, as I know one other video game magazine themed game, namely Mag!!!

I haven't played it yet, though, but I think I actually own a copy somewhere...
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Hallfiry wrote:It's not 100% novel, as I know one other video game magazine themed game, namely Mag!!!
Heh, this is cool :) Also the art is quite nice.

Anyway, your concept is different and thus the novelty factor is still in ;)
Hallfiry
7-bit super nerd

Post by Hallfiry »

MrFlibble wrote:Anyway, your concept is different and thus the novelty factor is still in ;)
Yea, it's not exactly a thing someone has done before (even though triple triad variants are very common).

Another "game" (it's more of a gimmick) that I kinda take as inspiration is a feature that Nickelodeon's website introduced a few years ago, where you could collect cards with characters from their shows and trade them with your friends and get perks by completing collections (those perks were things like wallpapers or forum avatars). Their way of handling collections (similar to the HOMM spellbooks) and some other details give me quite nice examples of how I want things to work (or not).

Triple Triad and some of it's clones also have a lot that helps me find the exact path I want my game to go.

I've also played some other (card) collecting games like Pokemon, various online things, pokemon trading card game (for gameboy) and Etherlords.

[/prose]

More important:

I'm considering making a little singleplayer version as a DOS program in Turbo Pascal to get a feeling for some parts of the game and be able to present something playable early on. I would release this version and its source code to Classic DOS Games then. Want me to make such a version?
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I played some Etherlords and its sequel (demos of both games to be exact), but none of the other titles you mention.
Hallfiry wrote:I'm considering making a little singleplayer version as a DOS program in Turbo Pascal to get a feeling for some parts of the game and be able to present something playable early on. I would release this version and its source code to Classic DOS Games then. Want me to make such a version?
Well if you have the time and motivation I guess why not? :)
Hallfiry
7-bit super nerd

Post by Hallfiry »

MrFlibble wrote:Well if you have the time and motivation I guess why not? :)
Great to see some interest. I'll quickly create the game. Maybe I'll already have a tech demo by tomorrow (I'm seriously so much motivated that I feel able to keep this promise).
However I doubt I will implement all ideas that I have for the complete game, but it will be plyable, maybe have something like 200 covers for starters and some crappy AI to fight against ;)
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

I dabbed in Pascal for a semester in college. My professor is cool. She gave me 102 out of 100 points for the entire course haha. We had 2 points of bonus. However I never did more than college work then.

Those college days are fun!