Files that need replacement

Requests for games to be added to the site
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Files that need replacement

Post by MrFlibble » April 12th, 2016, 5:58 am

I've just discovered that the "CDROM Shareware" version of Zorro currently on site is vastly incomplete. Originally this version came with an installer and lot of Smacker videos, with the total size of files around 19 MiB:
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/index.ph ... f=$2FZorro

NOTE: This seems like an earlier version of the CDROM Shareware. The one that I have found zipped here is dated March 24, 1995, and the component files match the contents of the CDROM Shareware zip here on site. I haven't checked the seemingly earlier release linked to above. It might be a German version. I'm assuming that it is otherwise identical to the March 24 version, as the video files are all the same.

When installed, the videos are not copied to the hard disk, as the demo expects to play them off the CD. Apparently someone just zipped the installed files and ignored the videos (which were too large to distribute online back then anyway), resulting in an incomplete archive. They also provided incorrect information in FILE_ID.DIZ when stating that the game comes "from the makers of Prince of Persia". The archive contains the file PATH.DAT which should point to the location of the videos on the CD (D:\ZORRO\). The "AOL SHAREWARE" version does not have any such file.

It seems that the AOL SHAREWARE version includes most of the videos anyway (except VID5.SMK and VID14.SMK, which are low-res FMV cutscenes), so I would suggest to remove the incomplete CDROM Shareware version altogether.

MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble » April 12th, 2016, 7:55 am

I have just found a few more Apogee shareware archives without authenticity verification that may be replaced:

Alien Carnage
File to replace: 1harry.zip
Reason for replacement: Missing PKZIP authenticity verification from Apogee Software.
Replace with: 1harry.zip

File to replace: 1hh12.zip
Reason for replacement: Missing PKZIP authenticity verification from Apogee Software.
Replace with: 1hh12.zip
NOTE: Interestingly, the file found at the Apogee/3D Realms' FTP does not have authenticity verification. I guess they had replaced the shareware version entirely with that of Alien Carnage when the game was re-released, and added Halloween Harry shareware retroactively upon the freeware release of the game.

Raptor: Call of the Shadows
File to replace: 1raptor.zip
Replace with: 1raptor.zip

File to replace: 1rap11.zip
Reason for replacement: Pre-installed version with wrong date stamps (from 2005).
Replace with: 1rap11.zip (rename manually)

MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble » June 8th, 2016, 7:51 am

Earthworm Jim
File to replace: ewj_1.zip
Reason for replacement: Playmates interactive distributed a demo package for its Earthworm Jim 1 & 2: The Whole Can O' Worms release, which included DOS demo versions for both games. The file is called ewjpc.zip. Apparently, some third party broke this file down into two packages, and edited the readme file to remove links to the Playmates website. Thus the demo file currently hosted is unofficial.
Replace with: ewjpc.zip

Earthworm Jim 2
File to replace: ewj_2.zip
Reason for replacement: see above.
Replace with: ewjpc.zip

MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble » November 23rd, 2016, 1:36 pm

Mortal Kombat II
File to replace: mk2demo.zip
Replace with: mk2demo.zip
Reason for replacement: This is apparently the original zip archive, while the version on site is a repack from 2010.
NOTE: The original file was found thanks to Hallfiry's catalogue here:
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/index.ph ... 80045&o=da

BTW, you might also want to add the info that pressing F10 allows to set up the sound card and configure player keys, while F1 and F2 function as the Start button for player 1 and 2 respectively.

MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble » September 20th, 2017, 10:30 am

Alone in the Dark
File to replace: alondark.zip (demo with slideshow)
Replace with: alone.zip
Reason for replacement: the current ZIP is not an original distribution and includes three third-party files. The original Interplay demo file includes an installer, and is also dated 16 December 1992 (15 January 1993 are the date stamps on third-party files). The file name is also wrong, alone.zip was mentioned on Interplay's game page from 1996.