Alien Cabal - Freeware?

Discuss classic PC games
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Alien Cabal - Freeware?

Post by MrFlibble »

Recently, a rather obscure game called Alien Cabal got my attention, and while browsing through various sites about DOS games I stumbled upon this interesting information at a site called Old School DOS:
October 10, 2007 - Today marks the third anniversary of Old School DOS! Fittingly, this mega-update includes two games set in prehistoric times with Trog and Stone Age. The final part of the update is the change in the download for Alien Cabal. The creator of the game has emailed me to inform that he is generously offering the full version for download, so the download link on the game page is now the full version. Not only that, but the download includes the Windows version, which looks better and runs without any extra programs. Big thanks to the maker.
Unfortunately, the site itself does not provide any detailed information on the distribution types of files it is hosting (most are demo and shareware, but some seemingly aren't), and of course the license that grants free distribution is nowhere to be found. I've tried to find info on the matter elsewhere, but with no positive results thus far. Maybe someone knows something about the current status of the game?
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Alien Cabal - Freeware?

Post by MrFlibble »

Just in case you get interested, there are two versions of the shareware episode of this game available, v1.1. and v1.2. Here are the links:
Alien Cabal Shareware v1.1 (06.10.1997)
Alien Cabal Shareware v1.2 (03.01.1998)
Version 1.2 adds a targeting cursor, strafe mode, automatic weapon
selection when you run out of ammo, red flashes to tell you when your
getting hit, lifeform recoiling when shot, shaking if you get too close
to an explosion and a cool self-playing demo.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Alien Cabal - Freeware?

Post by MrFlibble »

I have nearly completely forgotten about posting this question but recently I was browsing the archived copies of the game's official website, and apparently, the full version was available for download at some point:
Download Full DOS Version 1.2 and DirectX Version (12.9MB)

(Requires Pentium 100MHz, 16MB Ram, 60MB Hard disk space )
The files from the site have not been preserved.

It is also not clear if the full version download was actually a freeware release or if it required registration still, as the ordering information page was still there at the same time as the full version download.

[Edit] The site I've linked to in the first post seems to have the full version from the official website.