commander keen info

Discuss classic PC games
memsys
Less than a nibble

commander keen info

Post by memsys »

i all i just found this great site and i wanted to tell you guys about the commander keen forums
if you have any question about keen games you can get answers the there

public commander keen forum or pckf for short is the forum for just about anything keen related [and a nice place to hang out ;)]
Public Commander Keen Forum site

Keen: Modding is all about modding keen games from a simple patch to make the game harder to a fan made new episode
Keen: Modding site

the keen wiki it contains a lots and lots of information but not all [yet?]
keen wiki site

there are more versions out there then you think
just look around got any questions feel free to ask

NOTE : this is not meant as spammy advertisement but more as well... telling you that we exist and that if you need help with keen stuff that that is the best place to ask
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: commander keen info

Post by DOSGuy »

I'd like to think that this is a good place to ask questions about Commander Keen, too!

I've contributed some corrections to the Commander Keen Wiki in the past. It's a great resource.
memsys wrote:there are more versions out there then you think
I can guarantee that there aren't any versions of Commander Keen that I don't know about! I have copies of the less mainstream versions that weren't distributed by Apogee, such as Precision Software's v1.34 release of Keen 1, the Goodtimes version of Keen 4 v1.4, and the "promotional release" of Keen 6. According to Apogee, there was no v1.2 of Keen 4, and yet I have a copy of it!

The fact that Apogee's records show that there was no v1.2 of Keen 4 forced me to question whether or not the release was real. Apogee also claimed that there was no v1.3 of Major Stryker, but I found copies on six shareware compilation CDs, as well as BBS listings (which is where the shovelware guys found them), and the "Official Apogee FAQ" now acknowledges that v1.3 existed, with the caveat that it may not have been an "official" release. Apogee was wrong about Major Stryker v1.3, so they may also be wrong about Keen 4 v1.2. It's also possible that 1.2 was created by id and never given to Apogee to distribute.

The short version of what I'm trying to say is that there is a reason why some versions of the Keen games don't appear on the site, and that reason is laziness! Because there was a bit of confusion about whether or not at least one version was real, and the fact that some versions were distributed by lesser known companies, and some of them were only distributed on CDs instead of BBSes and, thus, may or may not be legal to distribute... well, it was just easier to stick with the official releases, and that's what I did. I didn't come up with a satisfactory solution at the time, and then I moved on to other things.

Interestingly, I was just about to add a few of those versions to the site, but I spent yesterday redesigning the website so that recent changes wouldn't break the Classic DOS Games DVD-ROM. I'll probably follow through with those plans tomorrow.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

I like the current site because it opens great in the Offbyone browser, which I use on my older 486/Pent machines.
memsys
Less than a nibble

Post by memsys »

hey dosguy did you know about the elusive demo version of keen 4 or a keen 6 with ??? on the signs instead of demo ?
version i know of are

keen 1
version 1.0
version 1.1
version 1.3
version 1.31
version 1.34

keen 2
version 1.0
version 1.31

keen 3
version 1.0
version 1.31

keen 4
version 1.0 DEMO!
version 1.0
version 1.1
version 1.2
version 1.4
version 1.4 goodtimes software
cga & ega versions

keen 5
version 1.0
version 1.4
version 1.4 goodtimes software

keen 6
version 1.0 special demo version
version 1.0 promotional release version [demo]
version 1.0
version 1.4
version 1.5
cga % ega versions

keen dreams
version 1.01 shareware
version 1.13 shareware
version 1.0
version 1.92 rev 0
version 1.92 rev 1
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

memsys wrote:hey dosguy did you know about the elusive demo version of keen 4 or a keen 6 with ??? on the signs instead of demo ?
Yes, and they're both on the site. The five level demo of Keen 4 was distributed in retail channels by FormGen. The version of Keen 6 that says "???" was distributed in the UK by Precision Software Applications, which was also the UK distributor for Wolfenstein 3D.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
memsys
Less than a nibble

Post by memsys »

i see that keen 1 v1.0 is missing on the site i do not know where you can find it but i know that some pckf member do know