Sublevel Zero, a 6DoF Descent like game

Discuss classic PC games
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Sublevel Zero, a 6DoF Descent like game

Post by MrFlibble »

I've just learned about a game called Sublevel Zero, which is presented as something in the style of the original Descent and Descent II. The game is available from Steam and GOG.com.

Of course I checked if a playable demo was available, and found out that apparently this game was originally created for Ludum Dare, and a pre-release free/trial version is available from here. I played the v3.0.2 a bit, and while it indeed contains all the core elements of Descent gameplay, for some reason it does not feel much like it.

The full version is more advanced, judging by videos, and features randomly procedurally generated levels, a crafting system, etc.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Sublevel Zero, a 6DoF Descent like game

Post by MrFlibble »

MrFlibble wrote:I played the v3.0.2 a bit, and while it indeed contains all the core elements of Descent gameplay, for some reason it does not feel much like it.
After playing a bit more, I have to retract this. The controls required some getting used to, apparently because the speed or acceleration (or maybe mouse sensitivity) is a bit different from Descent. However, I should say that the authors have actually tried to stay very faithful to the original game in the prototype/demo.

Here's a blog entry by the project developer about the Ludum Dare prototype version of Sublevel Zero:
https://gameoflyje.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... dare-game/