Powerslave EX beta released

Discuss classic PC games
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Powerslave EX beta released

Post by MrFlibble »

Powerslave EX is a remake of Lobotomy Software's PlayStation version of Powerslave. The PlayStation version is quite different from the PC version, and to some extent from the Saturn version.

Powerslave EX uses a custom engine built from scratch by the author, level designer, Samuel ‘Kaiser’ Villarreal. Recently, a public beta versions of the project was released:
https://powerslaveex.wordpress.com/2015 ... -released/

Here's a gameplay video: YouTube link.

People who have played the authentic PlayStation version of the game say that the recreation is pretty true to the original.

An interview with the project author:
http://techraptor.net/content/interview ... powerslave

As for the legal status of the project, the FAQ says the folllowing:
  • Is this legal? Who owns the rights to Powerslave?
    • While I know who owns the rights, I am not going to disclose the name of that individual. That said, I have no intention of making any profit from Powerslave EX. The whole purpose of this project is to keep the spirit of the game alive and to introduce it to a whole new generation of gamers and act as a teaching tool to those who want to be a game programmer. This project will, and always will be, free. I will continue developing this project unless I am given a cease and desist letter.
The engine is planned to have an open source release in the future.
ThreeHeadedMonkey
7-bit super nerd

Re: Powerslave EX beta released

Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey »

I vaguely recall playing a demo version of this, many years ago, when I was trying to find all the BUILD engine games. From what I remember, it wasn't the worst of the bunch - that "honor" would likely go to Extreme Paintbrawl - but rather generic and dull. Cool effort though, this "remake". Reminds me I still have to check out Doom 64 EX one of these days.
Chinese checkers. Mashed potatoes! And a tyrannosaurus rex!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Powerslave EX beta released

Post by MrFlibble »

Ceased & Desisted, apparently. The downloads are down.
ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote:I vaguely recall playing a demo version of this, many years ago, when I was trying to find all the BUILD engine games. From what I remember, it wasn't the worst of the bunch - that "honor" would likely go to Extreme Paintbrawl - but rather generic and dull.
The PlayStation version is nothing like the PC version. It uses Lobotomy's in-house SlaveDriver engine, and has completely different levels, some fundamental differences in gameplay mechanics, and several monsters, weapons and items exclusive to this version.

As for the PC version of Powerslave, it reminds me a lot of Doom, which I would say is a nice thing. BTW, there's a fan remake of the PC version using the Doom engine called Re-Exhumed:

Tutorial level gameplay (YouTube)
First level gameplay video (YouTube)

[Edit] Also, here's a review/comparison of the PC and console versions of the game: YouTube link.

[Edit2] You can get the PC demo version here. It has the first four levels from the full game.