List of free closed source games

Discuss classic PC games
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Liberated game findings

Post by MrFlibble »

Thanks!

BTW, I know this site, got some demo downloads from there a while ago.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Just learned about a team of English developers called Dod-G Pos-E. Initially they distributed their titles as shareware but then liberated them. The files are available here and here.
Cire
6-bit nerd

Post by Cire »

I started the work of trying to get A.D. Cop liberated by sending an e-mail to a person. I don't really know if it's the right person, but hopefully I will at least be sent in the right direction. I'll keep you updated on any progress.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Thanks! I haven't heard of that game though, and it doesn't seem to be listed on MobyGames. Are there any places with info about it?
Cire
6-bit nerd

Post by Cire »

Yes, the game seems to be relatively unknown, the information is pretty sparse. I first learnt about it at Doomworld: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-genera ... rom-china/
There are some videos on YouTube, for example this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw7u4hJeJXw
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Apparently this game is by EMAG (Electronic Music and Animated Graphics), a Taiwanese development team who created Sideline (for some reason I thought they were from South Korea until now).
Cire
6-bit nerd

Post by Cire »

Yup, that's true. The fact that they also created SideLine and that got liberated made me Think that their other games could get liberated too, so that's why I sent ghegs an e-mail. I'm not sure who else to Contact, if anyone has any information regarding this, please feel free to post in the thread or send me a PM.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Hopefully you get a response!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

In 2006, Robert Wayne Atkins, P.E. released several of his text adventure games (originally published in 1988-1992) for free:
http://grandpappy.info/indexgam.htm
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Free and liberated game findings

Post by MrFlibble »

Just learned about a new game on the Chocolate Doom engine called CyberShade. It's an FPS which focusses on fighting lots of enemies at once. The game can have up to 99 single-player and 99 multiplayer levels, with continuous looped gameplay (once the last level is reached, it goes back to level 1). Currently, there are 4+1 single-player and 3 multiplayer levels. Other feature enhancements compared to Doom include random teleporters and an updated automap that shows enemy positions.

A distinctive feature of CyberShade is that it uses a palette of only 16 colours. Here's a sample screenshot:
And a gameplay video: YouTube link.

CyberShade is still in development. The current version can be downloaded from the official Doomworld thread of the project.
developertn
9-bit ubernerd

Post by developertn »

Wow. That's pretty amazing. 16 colors look great if I say so myself hehe
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I just learned that the author of Dark Rage, a fairly obscure DOS side-scrolling shmup that came out somewhere in mid-90s, released the full version to the public last year.

Here's a gameplay video: YouTube link.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: List of free closed source games

Post by MrFlibble »

This is now a list of free but not open source games, both freeware and liberated (the latter being marked with an asterisk).
bartread
Less than a nibble

Re: List of free closed source games

Post by bartread »

I'm not sure if this is the right place for these, so I've also posted under Free alternatives to classic games at
https://www.classicdosgames.com/forum/v ... 8211#p8211. Please do delete/move as appropriate; I feel like the other thread may be the better fit.

Anyhow, I've written a couple of games myself that are free to play. I'm still tweaking both of them so would appreciate any feedback/comments:

Star Castle
  • Star Citadel - the original Star Castle inspired Yars' Revenge on the Atari 2600, whereas Star Citadel is a more straight up homage to the original game; your mission is to destroy the shielded rotating gun turret in the middle of the screen, whilst dodging the mines and energy projectiles it shoots out.
Asteroids
  • Shoot The Rocks - Asteroids needs very little in the way of introduction; my version combines elements of both Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe, in that you have the hyperspace, flip, and shield options available to you; I also plan on adding satellites, in addition to the flying saucers that already attack you.
They've got classic and standard modes of play, with the classic being supposed to be more like the original. Hope you enjoy playing them and, as I say, if you have any comments or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Bart