Places to download shareware games and demo releases

Discuss classic PC games
Cire
6-bit nerd

Re: Places to download shareware games and demo releases

Post by Cire »

When I try to download files from Gameaholic's Blizzard mirror, it for some reason Always redirects me to the FTP protocol despite the links going to HTTP, which of course doesn't work since the files aren't available there, and haven't been for a good while, as far as I can remember. I've tried with both Edge and Chorme. Is this only a problem on my end, or not?
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Sorry for not replying sooner! I checked the ftp, and the Blizzard mirror just seems to be not there, although I managed to open this file.

In fact, I think I never tried downloading anything from there, I just assumed that the mirror worked.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

More Guimo versions:
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Battle Bugs demo: bugdem.zip

Brutal: Paws of Fury demo: brudem.zip
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Cool, thanks for sharing!
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I just found another old site which has some of its file archived preserved by the Wayback Machine: The Gamer's Inn. It was listed here. Some notable highlights:
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

XCar: Experimental Racing
o Demo v1.0 (1997-01-02): xcardemo.exe
o Demo v1.20 (1997-07-10): xcardemo.zip
o 3dfx demo v1.0 (1997-07-18): xdemofx.zip
Cire
6-bit nerd

Post by Cire »

Some new FTP findings:

Appart from Yellow Horror's Microprose torrent, there's also a different backup of MicroProse FTP at ftp.oldskool.org. Those where the two sources I used when I made the backup I uploaded at Internet Archive

Also, games.mirrors.tds.net used to have a copy of what I do Believe is a different backup of largedownloads.ea.com. That particualar FTP is backed up at Internet Archive

Same with ftp.tpnet.pl. It has a (partial(?)) backup of Sierra's FTP

ftp.gameaholic.com has a mirror of LokiGames FTP and a mirror of id Software's FTP that differs from every other mirror I've came across. It also has a Blizzard FTP mirror, but it's only available by the http protocol and not ftp and I can only get HTTrack to download some of the files, for some reason most of the files redirects to the ftp protocol and I don't know if there's a setting to block that somehow.

There's a partial but newer mirror of LokiGames FTP's updates folder at lokigames.cs.utah.edu also.

But one of my newest and best find yet is what seems to be a complete backup of MonoLith's old FTP which I'm in the progress of downloading at the moment. Had only find a fraction of it Before (as I already backed up on IA), however this seems to be the whole thing.

There's also a 3D Realms mirror at dxzeff.com but I Think it contains stuff that never where present at the original FTP

I've also found some other FTP's which contains old id Software files which I suspect originaly came from their FTP, but I'm not really sure how to tell how authentic they are

EDIT: MVP Soft also used to have a FTP server located at ftp.mvpsoft.com. It's gone now, but I Think it might just have been relocated to http, pub.mvpsoft.com adress
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Thanks for the updates!

ftp://ftp.tpnet.pl/ doesn't want to load for me though.
Cire wrote: March 24th, 2018, 9:35 pm There's a partial but newer mirror of LokiGames FTP's updates folder at lokigames.cs.utah.edu also.
Have you been able to run any of their demos? Recently I found this solution but haven't tried it yet.
Cire
6-bit nerd

Post by Cire »

Yeah, sorry, you're right, fortunatly though tpnet.pl ftp games folder is saved on Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/ftp-ftp_tpnet_pl-pub-games

Nah, I haven't tried to run any of their demos, I just backed them up incase they dissappear.

I've uploaded MonoLith's and MVP Soft FTP's to my account on IA, just search for them there to find them.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

135 GiB is way beyond by download capacity. Just sayin'.
Cire
6-bit nerd

Post by Cire »

Alright, sorry to hear. The only thing I can suggest is that you should be able to go here and download any file individually if it would be of any help: https://ia801204.us.archive.org/tarview ... -games.tar