Z - old strategy game

These requests for help have been resolved, but they may help you find a game that you're looking for
LightAngels
Less than a nibble

Z - old strategy game

Post by LightAngels »

Yeah, I don't know where I can find this game :

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/z/d ... ;downloads

This is a great old strategy game ever.

Thax in advance.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Re: Z - old strategy game

Post by DOSGuy »

Here's the Z page on the developer's website. There's a demo, but it doesn't look like they sell the full version any more.

There are 6 copies for sale on Amazon.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
LightAngels
Less than a nibble

Post by LightAngels »

Thax you for the fast reply ^^
LightAngels
Less than a nibble

Post by LightAngels »

Haha, I just found out that Game

It's in my MediaFire Store box =))

2 years ago, I asked dosgames.com about Z-game, and they send me the link ^^

In order not to lost this game, I uploaded to MF, and I just forgot about that .... haha

So this is the game : [Link removed]

But now I can't play it =.=

I don't know how to play =.=

Can you check it out ?

Thank you.
DOSGuy
Website Administrator

Post by DOSGuy »

Z is still copyrighted software, which makes it illegal to distribute, so I've removed your link.

The game's executable file can't be run directly: it says that you need to run z.bat, which would launch the game with some command line parameters, or launch other executables first, if it existed. Running the setsound and setvideo programs didn't generate a z.bat, so you're out of luck unless you can find out what parameters zed.exe needs to be run with.

If you still have your original installation disks, even if they've become partially corrupted, you may still be able to find a z.bat on one of the disks, or get far enough into the installation to install z.bat. The link I posted to the Z page on the The Bitmap Brothers website has a contact email address at the bottom of the page. It looks like they still support all of their products, and if you contacted them and told them that you no longer have z.bat, they might send you a copy in a zip file, or the code to create your own, if you could prove that you legally acquired the game by sending them something like the UPC code from the box, or the volume label from the first installation disk, etc.

If you've never paid for a legal copy of the game, then I can't help you. However, there's a used copy in "very good condition" for $9.74 + $3.99 shipping, and a used copy in "like new" condition for $9.99 + $3.99 shipping on Amazon. One seller also has a new copy for $19.99 + $6.99 shipping, and he has received 100% positive reviews over the last 12 months.

Finally, freeware declarations are always challenging to obtain, but I figured I would give it a shot. I've sent this email to the copyright holders.
Hi guys.

I host a website called Classic DOS Games. One of my visitors is a big fan of Z, which I see is among 11 games (and 2 compilations) that you no longer sell. Part of my website's mission is to support the authors of great games by providing ordering information for games that are still sold, and another is to try to obtain freeware declarations for games that copyright holders are no longer interested in selling. Many companies, like Apogee and id, still sell some of their legacy games by download, and there may still be demand for The Bitmap Brothers' legacy games. If your organization is no longer interested in offering your legacy games for sale, is there any chance that we could discuss the possibility of The Bitmap Brothers declaring any or all of your old games freeware, perhaps under a GPL or Creative Commons license? I've helped almost two dozen software companies find an appropriate license to declare their unsupported games freeware while explicitly asserting what rights their organizations wanted to retain on their games.

I look forward to discussing the issue with you further.

Best regards.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article.
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

Z didn't use floppies, it was a CD. Full CD. The humorous cutscenes is one of the game's main features.
I'm surprised some other dos games site helped you acquire software illegally. Those infidels.
LightAngels
Less than a nibble

Post by LightAngels »

I appreciate you people very much, you all are very kind ^^

I finally have Full CD Z-game expansion, XP Compatible.

Thax again for your help.