Lost DOS fighting game [Pray for Death]

These requests for help have been resolved, but they may help you find a game that you're looking for
VortiX
4-bit nibble

Lost DOS fighting game [Pray for Death]

Post by VortiX »

I played this game in the late 90s, found it from a shareware CD called Dominator 2 (1995). The game looked like OMF and MK but the fighters were aliens of some sort (can't remember exactly). The demo had only 2 characters: one was a yellow guy and the another a bigger and blue fighter. There was only one stage which was dark and maroon. I know the game isn't Xenophage, FX Fighter nor Primal Rage. It's propably an obscure game.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Re: Lost DOS fighting game

Post by MrFlibble »

I assume it's Xenophage: Alien Bloodsport.

[Edit] Aww, sorry, just noticed you're mntioning it as not the one you're looking for :(

[Edit 2] Maybe it's Champions of Zulula or Champions of Zulula: Elite Edition?

[Edit 3] Also take a look at Battle Wrath.

[Edit 4] Another one to check out: Rise of the Robots. This one, as the title implies, features robots, not exactly aliens, but a blue and a yellow character are present (as seen here).
VortiX
4-bit nibble

Post by VortiX »

I looked at some pictures but it's none of them (my big brother played Rise of the Robots on Megadrive back in the 90's). Note that the game is made in 1995 or before since the shareware CD was from that year.
I remember few more details about the game: The game's contrast was dark, graphics were 2D, had no music and the game announcer had a creepy, sadistic alien-like voice. I also remembered that the cpu AI was really hard. I still have that CD but can't find the game. Think it got deleted.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

I think you can also check out Svatopluk's Arcade. It's a website with screenshots from various arcade games, including fighter games too. You can only list by alphabet or by year (not by genre), but maybe you'll find your game there.

[Edit] Another place worth a look is Theodor Lauppert's Game Gallery.

[Edit 2] Overkill is kind of dark and futuristic, but it's from 1996 (according to MobyGames, at least).
Pray for Death is pretty dark and has weird characters.
VortiX
4-bit nibble

Post by VortiX »

I looked pictures of Pray for Death, which looked familiar. Then I downloaded and played it. I'm 90% sure that's the game I'm looking for. It was dark and the announcer sounded quite much how I remember. But I can't realize how the game was made in 1997 but found it from a 1995's CD back in the day! Propably have a false memory of that CD.
MrFlibble
Forum Administrator

Post by MrFlibble »

Glad you found it :) It's also possible that the release date indicated on MobyGames is inaccurate (the demo could have pre-dated the full version, or it was released in different years in different countries).
VortiX
4-bit nibble

Post by VortiX »

I read the game was made in 1996. Sometimes demos and full version are made in different years, like ROTT HUNT -episode (1994) and Darkwar (1995).
leilei
File Contributor

Post by leilei »

ROTT's case is peculiar, they've WANTED a Dec 94 release but some network-related bugs kept them back from their target date for a couple months. Despite that, I still consider it a 1994 game even though its earliest registered release is February 1995. The same goes for Descent which also had a polished up demo in 1994, registered 95 rel. The Descent source code contains revision date so you can see the minor things they did between 94 and 95