The games that my friends and I spent our childhood playing are now at risk of being lost forever because modern operating systems no longer natively support them. RGB Classic Games is devoted to preserving classic games for defunct PC operating systems (DOS, CP/M-86, OS/2, Win16, Win9x) and making it easy to play them on modern computers.
This particular classic games site is a little more focused than most. Companies and individuals produced thousands of shareware games for the PC and, like movies and books and anything else, a lot of them weren't very good. Most sites aim for quantity. This site is almost exclusively dedicated to games that were distributed commercially, except for a select few games that were extremely good and achieved the same level of quality. Only the best games make it to this site.
This website is unique. I am attempting to include every version of each listed game. A lot of research has gone into making sure that all of the information on this site is correct. You'll quickly notice that there is no other web site that has all of these files in one place. RGB Classic Games is quite possibly the most complete, and most accurate classic DOS games resource in the world.
The highest ideals of this site are to support the authors by providing links to their web sites and ordering information for the full versions of games that are still sold, and to encourage the authors of classic games to preserve their games for future generations by making them available for sale or as freeware. If you enjoy a shareware game, please consider buying it from the author.
All of the games on this site are freely distributable because they are shareware, freeware, or because the copyright holder has officially and legally released all rights to the public domain (abandonware).
25 January 2014
- Converted the site to HTML 5.
17 November 2013
- Added 2 games: Lode Runner: The Legend Returns (Win16) and Lode Runner Online: The Mad Monks' Revenge (Win9x).
31 October 2013
- Added Grand Theft Auto (DOS).
21 September 2013
- Major Update VI: Phase III
- Optimized server settings, and made massive changes to database structure and server-side code to improve page loading time
- Added lazy loading of images to prevent timeouts from preventing online games from loading
- Fixed screenshots and genre listings in Utilities pages
- Otherwise spent months tweaking and optimizing every aspect of the site to make the most of the site's massive demands on our hosting plan's limited resources
- RGB now hosts official patches (usually upgrades, sometimes bug fixes)
- Added themes that make the website look like DOS or Windows 3.1
- Rewrote localization code and dramatically simplified translating the website into other languages
- Recalculated site finances to only include actual income (not theoretical income that might someday get paid out from affiliate programs) on the Donations page.
- Oh, and since this is still a game site, I added some new games.
- Added Genewars (DOS) and Evasive Maneuvers (DOS).