The games that my friends and I spent our childhood playing are now at risk of being lost forever because modern operating systems no longer natively support them. RGB Classic Games is devoted to preserving classic games for defunct PC operating systems (DOS, CP/M-86, OS/2, Win16, Win9x) and making it easy to play them on modern computers.
This particular classic games site is a little more focused than most. Companies and individuals produced thousands of shareware games for the PC and, like movies and books and anything else, a lot of them weren't very good. Most sites aim for quantity. This site is almost exclusively dedicated to games that were distributed commercially, except for a select few games that were extremely good and achieved the same level of quality. Only the best games make it to this site.
This website is unique. I am attempting to include every version of each listed game. A lot of research has gone into making sure that all of the information on this site is correct. You'll quickly notice that there is no other web site that has all of these files in one place. RGB Classic Games is quite possibly the most complete, and most accurate classic DOS games resource in the world.
The highest ideals of this site are to support the authors by providing links to their web sites and ordering information for the full versions of games that are still sold, and to encourage the authors of classic games to preserve their games for future generations by making them available for sale or as freeware. If you enjoy a shareware game, please consider buying it from the author.
All of the games on this site are freely distributable because they are shareware, freeware, or because the copyright holder has officially and legally released all rights to the public domain (abandonware).
30 April 2013
- Major Update VI: Phase II
- Reduced the number of database queries by about 60%, which should speed up page loading and reduce timeouts.
- Killed a bunch of dead links. Shame on your for not reporting them!
26 March 2013
- Major Update VI
- It's been about a year since the last Major Update began, so it's time for another massive overhaul of the site.
- Created support for themes and added DOS and Win16 themes.
- The site now archives official patches.
- Fixed screenshots on the Compilation CDs and Utilities pages.
- Made server-side optimizations to speed up page loading.
- Oh, and since this is still a game site, I added some new games.
- Added 6 games: Body Blows (DOS), Bubble Pop (DOS), D/Generation (DOS), Snake (IM) (DOS), Spit Wad Willy (DOS), and Super Ball! (DOS).
7 March 2013
- RGB Classic Games has its 8th anniversary.
3 February 2013
- Added Hoosier City (DOS).